Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
INTREPID,
I replaced my Camshaft adjuster magnet about 6 months ago. Yesterday I took the car in for a brake light switch failure and they replaced the cam adjuster again at no charge covered under part warranty. Check with Mercedes, it could be udner a part warranty.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do i really have to replace it? idont think it has warranty because i just bought it from a friend.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
do i really have to replace it? idont think it has warranty because i just bought it from a friend.
If the leak is only at the bottom you can remove it and use a non-silcone sealent and put it back on. If there is oil in the wire connection you will need to replace it.

If in the USA and a 2001 to 2004 there is a recall and the dealer will replace and put an adapter in the wiring to stop oil wicking into the wire harness.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have what looks like a tiny leak - has probably been this way for ages. The funny thing is, it isn't running down. It is coming out at the 10 o'clock position and going off to the left. No oil on any of the wires though, so not too concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
You need to pull the wire connector to cam adjuster and see if you have oil inside it. Oil will wick inside the actual wire under the wire covering. You willl not see it. For the 2001 and up there is a part that can be installed to prevent this. On pre 2001 at the cam adjuster you can cut the wire cover and mash the wire flat and then solder over the wire about 1 inch long and then tape the wire. You need to do both wires. Making a solid wire and not strands will stop the wicking

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took mine off and put on a sealant. When I went to start the car a made a bad noise. I redid the seal now the car cranks but it doesn't turn over

1 - 11 of 11 Posts