Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just got an 01 SLK320 w/ xenon lights. I imported it into Canada and need to put DRL's on it in order to get it registered. I have 4 weeks to get this done and need to jump on it.

Question is, what does this entail? Is there a aftermarket module I can use? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,066 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model.

usercp, edit your details, location/vehicle.

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome from London!! I *suspect* based on what I see in SDS that you can have a friendly dealer set either your country variant to "Canada", or just enable "DRL". I don't have a lot of experience on the R170, so I can't tell you for sure if all cars support this setting, but I don't see anything that makes me believe it's not...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In speaking with my local dealer, they have to replace the headlight switch and add a module to do this...with labour it is $1100. I guess I will have to go with this option, I tried an after market module but it did not support Xenon lights.

Might as well do it right and be done with it I guess.

·
Registered
186 Posts
blnky...

Yeah, in Canada your DRLs are simply the xenon lights on at full power (compared to most modules where they do something like high beams at half power.) There's probably some way to wire them to come on with just the key, but there are so many computers in these things it would probably be hard to do.

$1,100 is probably not bad compared to what I suspect you saved bringing it in from the U.S. I wish I had done the same thing. I could have got a 55 for the price of a 350.

Cheers!

Dang

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True...I figure I saved app. $5K bring it from US so this will eat into my savings, but still better then buying in Canada

·
Registered
7 Posts
In speaking with my local dealer, they have to replace the headlight switch and add a module to do this...with labour it is $1100. I guess I will have to go with this option, I tried an after market module but it did not support Xenon lights.

Might as well do it right and be done with it I guess.
I just had mine done in Florida at the dealer, prior to export /import. New switch had to come from Germany. With install about $750US.
Result: All Parking lights including markers, tail, and license lights come on with the start of the engine. Low Beams at full strength come on by a relay which clicks right behind the switch when the shifter is in any driving position with engine running and turn off about 2 seconds after shifting to either nutral or park.
hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I am having the same thing done on Tuesday, switch which includes a module. Cost more here though...$1100 installed! Damn you americans and your cheaper items! :)

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I just sold my car to a guy in Canada and he has to do a similar set up with the DRL.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can someone explain to me what this convo is about lol i am lost and have no clue.
Whats day light running lights? and whats the issue here? do living in the US have to be worried about this?

I am about to get a new headlights with HID kit etc...

so I am lost what DRL does....

you turn on the lights you have your lights on,you turn it off its off,right? haha...

i'd appreciate if someone could tell me exactly what all that means,thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can someone explain to me what this convo is about lol i am lost and have no clue.
Whats day light running lights? and whats the issue here? do living in the US have to be worried about this?

I am about to get a new headlights with HID kit etc...

so I am lost what DRL does....

you turn on the lights you have your lights on,you turn it off its off,right? haha...

i'd appreciate if someone could tell me exactly what all that means,thanks
In Canada and I believe a large portion of Europe, you must have "Daytime Running Lghts" which are on whenever the vehicle is in motion. They are not allowed to be switchable by the driver.and have to meet certain illumination requirements. Low beam headlights in most cases do this. Some fog, driving lights,and marker lights will also work but from what I've learned, unless it's the headlamps being used, they must be stamped "DRL' on the lens.
Just my 2cents

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought I had posted when you originally asked for help. I must have screwed up (being a new member). I took two SLK's from the US into Canada and the only way I could keep them (as they do not meet Canadian safety standards... the bumpers are weaker than the Canadian version and cannot be replaced because the entire front end of the car would be involved) was by registering them under a student visa "to drive while in Canada" and swearing I would not attempt to sell the vehicles there. Maybe Nova Scotia is different than BC but I believe it is a Federal rule. So, unfortunately, running lights will not solve your registration problems. Best luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BC must be more anal then...I had the MB dealer install new headlight switch with DRL module and then Canadian Tire signed it off and it is registered and legal for Canada now. I have everything done now and love the car.

Where did you get that info? I called RIV prior to importing the car and they told me it was just the DRL's...I would think it would be a federal rule not provincial.

Either way...I am good to go and am enjoying the early NS summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BC vs NS

Canadian customs informed me of the problem. There is a list online of vehicles which cannot be registered in Canada (because of the differing safety standards) I will try to find a link for you. Maybe there is a difference between SLK230's and 320's regarding importation. I was rather shocked to learn that Mercedes made a "safer" car for the Canadian market.
At any rate, I am thrilled you got the car registered. NS is a fabulous place to roam about (during summer months). BC is a kinder, gentler environment for SLK's year round:} Cheers. Charlotte

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I know most know this, but just to add.

On the next gen, R171 SLKs, U.S. cars allow DRL to be turned off and on in the vehicle settings by the driver.

I keep my turned off to save bulb life, and I wasn't super convinced it adds to safety (I haven't researched this so I don't know). However, lately I've had so many people flying at me in every direction that I think I may change the setting to turn DRL back on all the time! ha-ha.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you talking about the RIV list of admissable vehicles? If so, mine is listed as admissable with modifications but it does not specify those mods...I got that info from calling the 1-800 number for RIV and actually speaking with them. BC must be differant than NS, the Canadian Customs did not even come out and look at the vehicel...just filled out form 1 and collected the tax/duty and they were happy. Maybe your customs are a little more diligent??

Yeah, won't be able to drive it as much as you...however, I have a fun 300+ HP Subaru Legacy to roam around with in the snow. So I can have fun all year round! :)

Canadian customs informed me of the problem. There is a list online of vehicles which cannot be registered in Canada (because of the differing safety standards) I will try to find a link for you. Maybe there is a difference between SLK230's and 320's regarding importation. I was rather shocked to learn that Mercedes made a "safer" car for the Canadian market.
At any rate, I am thrilled you got the car registered. NS is a fabulous place to roam about (during summer months). BC is a kinder, gentler environment for SLK's year round:} Cheers. Charlotte

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought I had posted when you originally asked for help. I must have screwed up (being a new member). I took two SLK's from the US into Canada and the only way I could keep them (as they do not meet Canadian safety standards... the bumpers are weaker than the Canadian version and cannot be replaced because the entire front end of the car would be involved) was by registering them under a student visa "to drive while in Canada" and swearing I would not attempt to sell the vehicles there. Maybe Nova Scotia is different than BC but I believe it is a Federal rule. So, unfortunately, running lights will not solve your registration problems. Best luck.
I think the whole bumper thing has been dropped by RIV in 2008. The canadian Feds decided that they would accept the US crash tests of 3mph vs 5mph. Not sure when you were bringing your slks across but if it is on the list of admissable vehicles on the RIV website then a phone call to RIV with your VIN # should get you what the required modifications are.
cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Clyde hit the nail on the head. I left Canada in 2008. I received the following from MB Canada today!

Thank you for your inquiry. Please note the Government of Canada harmonized the bumper standards on June 25th, 2008 to those already established in the US and European markets. As such, some vehicles that were inadmissible due to bumper modifications are now deemed admissible.

BRAVO

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.