Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I am looking at a 1999ish 230K here in the UK

WHat is best when looking at the SLk in your opinion?

Lower Milage or Newer car

i have seen a few one with
80k on the clock but V reg 1999
or
43K on the clock R Reg 1998.

What would you say is the best option with this car, is the older ones more prone to rust etc so a newer would be better or does the engine fail more than looks with more miles?

Any advice would be great, along with some things to watch out for when looking at the car

My dad just said that he would always go for a lower milage as its better to sell one day that newer as a year or two on a older car is not going to matter.
Thanks and Hello

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,411 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search this forum' feature for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, If you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, please consider donating to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! Thanks!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome to the forum from London via Houston. I've always been of the opinion that a well maintained MB is a great bargain, so I'd look more for detailed, carefully maintained car and put less focus on mileage..

·
Registered
72 Posts
welcome from LA

Welcome from Los Angeles:rockon:

in my humble opinion i would go for the lower milage the cars are only a year apart as far as i know not much difference between years.

i looked at 230,s and wanted a 4 banger for gas savings but after finding a 320 v6 6 speed manual with beauty interior wood look i fell in love:tu:

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from snowy NE England. - difficult choice - if it was low mileage AND service history, I would go for that over high mileage, newer and no service history.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from California.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hi everyone thanks for your posts.
i have a little question, does the price of the SLK increase second hand closer to summer in the UK?
Any one know of this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi all
looking at this center console

does paint come off like this often
can it be powder coated.
how easy is it to repair?

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
That was quite common on the most of the older SLKs I looked at, not sure how to fix. I'd be more worried about the steering wheel, cost a fortune to get it on the correct side..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looking at that picture, the first thing I miss are the buttons for the heated seats! Those leather seats get pretty cold in the winter!

The paint problem is pretty common, there are small brushes for touch-up repairs and spray-paint cans to respray the entire unit. Ofcourse in the right colours. This one doesnt look al that bad to be honest, most of the lighter interiors are missing paint al around the center console..

And about the prices before and during the summer, I dont know how it works in England but here in Holland convertibles do get a bit more expensive during that time of year. Probably to make a profit of the people who buy one in a rush because of the weather. Thats why I bought my SLK just before winter-time, saves me €1000!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hi there i just went to see a 2000 r170 in black and it was very nice
the interior had the cream and black theme and i could see the paint coming off anywhere where you touch ie door handels.
i found the cream to be a little off looking so i might go for all black but i think that is boaring.
how easy is it to take the parts that are coloured a different colour and get them sprayed them?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.