Mercedes SLK World banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,604 Posts
If the built-in indicators are similar to an R171, you must remove the mirror and the mirror motor first in order to remove the indicator.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
If the built-in indicators are similar to an R171, you must remove the mirror and the mirror motor first in order to remove the indicator.
Thanks efair - no mirror motor in the R170 but I must remove mirror first, OK

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Two of the many problems I fixed today:

- Boot lid not locking with remote when everything else was - turned out to be the pulley system which is latched by the PSE unit air pressure line just needed some WD40 oil to loosen it

- noticed interior lights weren't coming on - disconnected the unit & it seems to be where the current leakage was coming from - again a bad design issue - the lamp holders into which each of the two interior light fit, is a twist fit. When twisted to the correct position, two metal lugs on each side of the lamp holders makes contact with metal bars which carry + & - voltages. It's easy to break the plastic guides into which the lamp holders twist. When this happens the lamp holders can be loose & the metal lugs easily short across the metal bars - causing current leakage.

I glued the lamp holders in place & soldered the metal lugs to the metal bars carrying the power. Shouldn't budge & short again but again it's a bad design

So, maybe this sorts the current leakage & it wasn't the speed sensor botched wiring after all?

·
Registered 2012 SLK350
166 Posts
I had an MB c320 wagon, circa 2001. It had a current draw like yours. Cost me a fortune before I figured it out. It was actually a MB forum post that lead me to the culprit, and the cure. There was a faulty power seat module under the driver's seat that was draining the battery. The fix, was to splice one wire, to alter the seat power from, "always on", to only on with key. Wish I had learned this trick before blowing $1,900 on misdiagnosed issues. Good luck. Electrical gremlins can wear on your mental health.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Thanks, Pwgunny
I hear what you're saying about being driven crazy
So far I've only spent ≈ €200 on a new battery which I didn't need. €250 on PSE unit which I did need to replace
Luckily I'm able to do this myself - leaving it into a garage would be very costly

41 - 45 of 45 Posts