Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im from Sydney Australia and i recently bought a 2004 r171 slk 200 and the fan stays on at fullspeed when car is on and when u turn the ignition on and off its first thing on and off. I brang it to a meachanic said it was the thermostat so he replaced it and was fine. I drove the car today same issue as before. Would anyone have a clue what is ??

·
Founding Member 2006
108,938 Posts
Lui90,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

First please update your location and vehicle (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300,320,350,55) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t. This takes about 30 seconds to do.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Info in your garage does not update your profile.

Your 1st thread should be your introduction so we can welcome you properly so post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already. New Members Introduce Yourself Here - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have eight Mercs including four W163 type MLs so have a bit of experience. On the ML if the air conditioning refrigerant is low in pressure the electric cooling fan will switch on and stay on, irrespective of whether the air conditioning is on or off. Its just the way the circuit logic works.

Which raises the question of whether your air conditioning refrigerant in your SLK is low in pressure. How well is your air conditioning working?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I got the car the aircon wasn't working and I got it re gassed the mechanic Said that there was no leaks he apparently done a dye test

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
When I got the car the aircon wasn't working and I got it re gassed the mechanic Said that there was no leaks he apparently done a dye test.
Doesn't quite answer the question. What you are saying is that air conditioning wasn't working recently (possibly a refrigerant leak) and it was regassed.

So is it working perfectly now - yes or no - because if it has leaked again then this could be the cause of your fan staying on. Go and test your air conditioning thoroughly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got the car back from the mechanic was working perfectly I will have to check it again and go through it.

Also what should the temperature be at when I'm driving I'm worried to drive the car with it running so fast

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk

·
**Premium Member 2004 SLK350
5,663 Posts
I have eight Mercs including four W163 type MLs so have a bit of experience. On the ML if the air conditioning refrigerant is low in pressure the electric cooling fan will switch on and stay on, irrespective of whether the air conditioning is on or off. Its just the way the circuit logic works.

Which raises the question of whether your air conditioning refrigerant in your SLK is low in pressure. How well is your air conditioning working?
My wife c class had a engine rebuild and they disconnect the ac compressor so there is no pressure ( confirmed by das/star machine ) but my fan in not on, regardless of ac on/off.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My wife c class had a engine rebuild and they disconnect the ac compressor so there is no pressure ( confirmed by das/star machine ) but my fan in not on, regardless of ac on/off.
Refrigerant low in pressure is not the same as an electrically disconnected compressor. In the ML, when the system detects low pressure, the fan comes on and stays on. If one disconnected the compressor electrically (and there is refrigerant) there is still pressure which is likely above a threshold pressure which triggers the fan.

The OP needs to check is A/C.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.