Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Check the coding and ensure airscarf is present?
Hey, thanks for the suggestion. When you say check the coding, do you mean see if it is recognised on the OBD scanner? The car had airscarf already and it tries to activate it when the button is pressed but the blowers don't activate, the element does though as I get a faint whiff of it.

·
* Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG/2005 SLK350
5,710 Posts
I'm just guessing here ... Airscarf is an optional feature, so its presence has to be "coded" into the relevant control units. This just means adjusting the internal settings of the control unit(s) to match your installed features. Do you know the VIN of the donor car? Did it also have airscarf installed?

·
Administrator (UK)
34,845 Posts
Unless I missed a post, this car had airscarf since you first owned it and it was working.
If that is correct, have you had any work done by anyone that involved coding?
eg adding electric mirrors, heated seats etc

Just wondering if in coding something else if they disturbed the airscarf coding.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

The car has heated seats and air scarf installed from the factory. All was working up until recently. No coding has been changed/removed. Only thing I've done to troubleshoot is replace the seat heating controller/module which has taken me a step further (the lights on the buttons for air scarf and heated seats illuminate now, they were dead before).

When I press the air scarf switch, the lights illuminate, I can hear the relay clicking in the module and I get a faint smell of heating element but no fan to blow over the heating element. So it seems as though the fan output isn't trigerring, or that this controller is slightly different to my last one (because of the different numbers). If it's slightly different because of a version change, it might be that the wiring is in the wrong place and that's why the fan isn't getting the +12v it needs to activate?

Thoughts?

·
* Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG/2005 SLK350
5,710 Posts
Coding is stored in the module itself; You replaced your module with another module; that module contains unknown codings.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ahhhhhh I see! So the module itself needs to be coded. Thanks very much for helping me to understand :) Is this something I can do myself somehow or does it need STAR?

·
Administrator (UK)
34,845 Posts
I am not a coder etc, but sometimes you get away replacing like for like part numbers (sometimes not).
But it is common for different part numbers to be more likely to have an issue (but not always).

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I guess I was hoping this would be a direct swap as the part number was the same 😭

·
Administrator (UK)
34,845 Posts
I guess I was hoping this would be a direct swap as the part number was the same 😭
"that this controller is slightly different to my last one (because of the different numbers)"

You Midlands? There are many good Indies with MB Scanner out that way.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
"that this controller is slightly different to my last one (because of the different numbers)"

You Midlands? There are many good Indies with MB Scanner out that way.
Part number is the exact same but there's a few other numbers on the label which are different to my original.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts