Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Have read through several posts on this but none seem to be the exact same issue I'm 'suffering'.

Have had this car for a few years. The drivers side (RH) heated seat worked initially but then began to fail. It would come on, the side of my thigh would get almost BBQ'd and then it would switch off within about 10 mins. I suspected a broken seat element. Passenger seat heating always worked.

The Air Scarf has always worked and without fail.... until recently. It worked one day, then suddenly didn't work the next. If I press the Air Scarf button for either side, nothing happens, no clicks, no lights... nothing! So then I press the heated seats on either side - again nothing. I'm thinking fuse? I start hunting out where the fuses could be and check all that I think could be the ones but all were fine.

Plugged in my iCarsoft OBD scanner, I can see it registers me pressing the buttons for Air Scarf but nothing more happens. So I know at least that the CANbus is seeing the request.

Thanks to guides on here, I found the controller (Picture attached). All looks in good condition, plugs and connectors look fine and board itself doesn't appear to have anything burnt or foul smelling.

Any suggestions? :)

20210607_152458 (1).jpg

·
* Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG /2005 SLK350
5,733 Posts
The connector under the seat is always suspect, but your problem seems to be different from the usual. Are all the other functions on the upper control panel working (flashers, ETC, door locks)?

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The connector under the seat is always suspect, but your problem seems to be different from the usual. Are all the other functions on the upper control panel working (flashers, ETC, door locks)?
Thanks for the question! I forgot to clarify on the post. Everything else on the control panel works fine such as the hazards, door locks and parking distance control.

·
* Premium Member
5,733 Posts
What exactly did you do when you say "Plugged in my iCarsoft OBD scanner, I can see it registers me pressing the buttons for Air Scarf but nothing more happens. So I know at least that the CANbus is seeing the request. " Walk us through the step by step.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What exactly did you do when you say "Plugged in my iCarsoft OBD scanner, I can see it registers me pressing the buttons for Air Scarf but nothing more happens. So I know at least that the CANbus is seeing the request. " Walk us through the step by step.
Sure.

1. I plug my OBD scanner into the OBD port, ignition switch on (all lights on dash on and ventilation fan, stereo etc on but engine is off)
2. I select the car from the menu of different Mercedes models, in this case the R171, 2005, SLK350, RHD, Automatic
3. I scroll to the 'Seat Heater' menu and read the DTCs. None are logged.
4. There is a sub-menu on that screen which says 'Actual Values'. It shows parameters such as whether or not the fan is blowing or the seat element statuses.. etc. There is an option there which shows the button press state. When I press the button, it shows 'on' momentarily.

Happy to record a quick video if that's easier?

·
* Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Nope, good enough description. You've tested all fuses right? So next test the "overhead control panel" LEDs to make sure they are working. At this point it sounds like the heater module is the culprit.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope, good enough description. You've tested all fuses right? So next test the "overhead control panel" LEDs to make sure they are working. At this point it sounds like the heater module is the culprit.
Well, that's where I'm a bit unsure! LOL. I've been reading about the fuses but there seems to be so many variations. I've checked the fuses I think it is according to the variations I've found and they all seem to be intact. The ones I was checking was the ones on the side of the dashboard where the door opens, and checked the ones in the boot, up against the fuel tank. Is there anywhere sense I could check? Any relays?

The control panel LEDs aren't coming on at all, not for the heated seats nor the air scarf, but I can see the request from the switch going through the CANbus.

·
Administrator (UK)
34,986 Posts
First post has a list of fuses. There should be a folded piece of paper with that on top of the dash fuses.

·
* Premium Member
5,733 Posts
The control panel LEDs aren't coming on at all, not for the heated seats nor the air scarf, but I can see the request from the switch going through the CANbus.
Can you turn them on and off with your iCarsoft? Is there an "actuations" section, similar to "actual values"? You'll need to select "upper control panel".

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First post has a list of fuses. There should be a folded piece of paper with that on top of the dash fuses.
Thanks for this. I see that:

Air scarf is fuses 23, 24,37
Seat heating is fuses 25, 37

If these are the ones on the side of the dash/up against the closed door, I've checked these and they are all good.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can you turn them on and off with your iCarsoft? Is there an "actuations" section, similar to "actual values"? You'll need to select "upper control panel".
That would be such a good addition! Unfortunately it doesn't have the option. Only monitoring of real-time values.

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought I'd post up some pictures of the kind of readout it gives me for the control panel buttons.

This is when I press and hold airscarf on (pressed and held so I could capture it on camera!):

This is when I release the air scarf button (i.e. don't press it for any longer)

This DTC wasn't there before but is there now because I've removed the seat heating control module:

·
* Registered
2004 SLK55 AMG
413 Posts
Hello guys !
I have created a nice testbench to check electronics boards on SLK R171.
For this i use a Central Gateway for connect in my pc and xentry passtrought interface: out/in data canbus by Central Gateway checking interfaces....
I have more skill and experience to repair electronics boards but i'm not a professional operator: only for help and checking in my free time.
Regards,
Marco - France

·
* Premium Member
2008 SLK350
3,028 Posts
Me too. Nice picture of a CGW with some wires attached to it. I think the white connector is the OBD2 port? Red and black power? Others are used for.....??? CAN connectors?
Intriguing,but can you elaborate? What is it used for? Can you describe some examples of how it is/was used for error diagnosis?

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi all,

Bringing this back on topic....

Ordered a second hand, working seat heating control module and replaced it. I'm a step further in that the lights on the control panel buttons for air scarf and heated seats are all coming on now on both sides. However, the air scarf isn't blowing (i.e. the fan motors on both seats are not spinning). I suspect this is the problem so I'll try this:

https://www.slkworld.com/threads/project-airscarf-starts-here.27470/post-297721

·
* Registered
2005 SLK350
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok so that didn't work unfortunately. Mine is a completely different wiring scheme and layout to the one on that link.

Here's the new one installed:

Here's the old one. Note there are some differences in some of the numbering

Has anyone got any suggestions here?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts