Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I just came back from the shop that would have me wheels refurbished.
Big dissapontment.
My wheels are not original.
Although my datacard states that the car was delivered with amg wheels, seems that the previous owner swapped them with replicas.
I called the guy and he said that he has no idea (yeah right) but he recalls taking them for refurbishment three years ago and "thinks" that the shop "may have tricked" him.
Anyway, from what my shop says, the wheels are correct to offset, made in Italy (as stated on the back) and not some Chinese knock offs, but Ive never had replicas fitted before and would like to hear some opinions about it.
Since they are straight and seem to just need just minor repairs, should I keep them?
Should I get rid of them and put some original ones?
I would have felt confidence with a branded after market set, but this "replica" issue... Just doesn't feel right.
Help?

Attachments

·
Registered sold both-> SLK350, SLK '55
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And BTW can anyone tell which original wheel this is (part No) and the model it belongs, just in case I decide to bite the bullet and replace them? (i searched the AMG catalogue but had no luck)

·
Registered 2013 SLK55 AMG
714 Posts
Hi,
I have run 'replicas' on previous cars and never had any problems. Even the finish and quality have been good...

OEM's should be better given that they are made to the original specs however most companies 'buy in' their wheels from an external provider, as they do not have the tooling / machining to make the volumes needed for the production lines.

If they are straight and safe then, maybe, only a :nerd: would know that they are not originals. If you are happy stick with them and save a few $...

BTW - doesn't stop it being really annoying when you find out its not right :|:|:|

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.