Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! burning fuses!

hey guys, i need some help and i have already searched the forum and havent found anything. i have a 2001 SLK230K. it keeps blowing the fuse that goes to the alarm system, interior lights, and locking the vehicle from the remote. i need to get this fixed soon as it is a pain not being able to lock the vehicle... OR have lights in the hours of darkness. i did a little bit of investigation. i replaced the fuse (10A) and i hit the remote lock button and the doors locked but the fuse burned out. so i replaced it wish a 15A fuse and same result... i continued to a 20 and everything locked fine... but i tested out the interior lights and one flickered and then went out (fuse burned). so i need some ideas of where to go from there. any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance for all of your help!
-Brandon

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
hey guys, i need some help and i have already searched the forum and havent found anything. i have a 2001 SLK230K. it keeps blowing the fuse that goes to the alarm system, interior lights, and locking the vehicle from the remote. i need to get this fixed soon as it is a pain not being able to lock the vehicle... OR have lights in the hours of darkness. i did a little bit of investigation. i replaced the fuse (10A) and i hit the remote lock button and the doors locked but the fuse burned out. so i replaced it wish a 15A fuse and same result... i continued to a 20 and everything locked fine... but i tested out the interior lights and one flickered and then went out (fuse burned). so i need some ideas of where to go from there. any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks in advance for all of your help!
-Brandon
I really don't know what's the issue. But try checking the cigarette lighter plug. May be something is stuck in there... I remember when we bought used Montero with my dad, the honk was constantly going out... after hours of meticulous looking and checking for connections, disassembling the steering wheel, etc. we took it to the dealership. They couldn't figure out it either until 2nd day =) Guess what was the culprit? There were some leftover pins (to call them) that were stuck in the 12v plug for the cigarette lighter and they were causing the short circuit. Just a thought sharing :burnout:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree that the cigar lighter could be suspect but you really should not substitute a blown fuse for one of a higher value, but to double the fuse rating? Very silly. I would advise either buying a short circuit tester or use a headlight bulb wired into the fuse terminals in series. When you find the problem by turning off or disconnecting components, the lamp will go out.
Good luck with the search.

Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.