Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,my r170 slk 230 designo copper 1998 60k miles has a fault.Car only used in summer but I start up most weeks and drive round the block.Last week car went flat then cut out, it did start again and I got home only half a mile, few days later started up left on drive ticking over when it went flat again and cut out but will not start up now.I Think it was fuel related so checks ive done k40 fuse,relays and circuit board look ok no sighn of burns or damage, put a bulb test onto fuel pump connectors with ignition on 2 and no power then wired fuel pump to spare battery direct and it spun up ok.Put things back tried to start and it did fire up for a second I think fuel pump sent a little fuel through when I tested it.So that's it want to try and figure it out before getting technician in, THANKS.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,770 Posts
In truth you have so many potential sources getting it read is probably the best solution.

Check out the threads on the MAF which is an easy job.

'SLKWorld.com MAF'
Mercedes Benz SLK Forum - Search Results for SLKWorld.com MAF
Remember to clean the airway and not just the sensor or it will repeat.

Fuel pump may still have a fault even with power.

Filter could be blocked.

K40 can look ok but have micro breaks on the contacts.
Worth resoldering.

How long did this happen after your last fuel fill?
Did you fill to the brim?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, I will clean MAF also think I will change fuel pump and filter as not too expensive, then if no joy I will get a read on it,cheers.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My K40 looked brilliant, even under a magnifier.
In desperation, £120 part but a 10 minute fit, I replaced it.
Started on the button since and runs sweet as a nut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,411 Posts
Hi Mike,

See your intro thread to update profile please

First please update your profile with your location and vehicle year and model (year?: 1996-2016, model?: 32, 200, 230, 250, 280, 300, 320, 350, 55), if you haven’t already done so, as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
Follow this to update: ‘User CP’ at the top of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’ (and then click ‘SAVE CHANGES’ button at the bottom of the page). Info in your garage does not update your profile.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, cranked car over today and found no fuel going to rail,got a friend to put his reader on and only error was p1605 can abs speed sensor.Can this cut off fuel supply also where is this located,thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.