Discussion Starter #1
i have recently purchased a slk 200 all working well
apart from the water temp gauge in the instrument cluster
the feature is there but it does not show any temp on the bar graph
any ideas?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,192 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year,ie 2007 SLK 350) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information if you haven’t.
Follow exactly to update: ‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. Your profile is NOT updated in your ‘personal garage’.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,944 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
The 200 won't have oil temperature ..

I'd start by checking the electrical connections on the temperature sender - I'll dig out the location first thing

How does the car perform ..? Without that data, it may run oddly as it's not sure of the engine temperature ...

Edit - assuming this is a R171 until the OP updates his info ...

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,237 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,920 Posts
A warm welcome from Southern Arizona. Good to have you on board. Best of luck getting your temp gauge working. Enjoy the people, the forum, and top down cruisin'.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all ,
Yes it is a 171 model 2005
It's the water temp that's not working , also now found the reset button to
Change the clock also doesn't work , so can't change time either .

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
The reset button is usually an easy one - I'd guess at some point the Instrument cluster has been removed - the three buttons on the side are connected by a small ribbon cable on the rear of the cluster (held in with one of the computer type ribbin cable locks) - I'd hazzard a guess that the ribbon cable has come loose, or wasn't put back in properly

Pretty easy to remove the IC and check this ... (have a search on here...)

I'll try and snap a pic of my old AMG cluster later

The coolant temperature sensor hooks into the front SAM - it could be a loose connection here , or on the sender it's self

This Youtube vid shows the sensor being changed out on a C class, but with the same engine as yours...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyobl5jBCI0&feature=youtu.be

or

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. Congratulations on your SLK.

Woolly - Founder & Super Moderator.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,342 Posts
Hi, welcome from the North of Scotland. :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,136 Posts
I think (at least on older motronics) the ecu assumes 0c on startup and 100c after some period of running if it can't acquire a signal from the temp sensor. I just repaired a temp sensor on Jr's Volvo where the connector had gone bad due to age and heat. So check that first!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts