Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son Preston is starting his weekend project (finally) on his R170 230 and his main question is:

When you replace the hydraulic roof pump do you need to bleed the lines and how do you do it?

Thank you so much for any help you can give him!

·
Registered
82 Posts
When I replaced my roof actuator [spewed fluid everywhere, basically had to refill the pump] I read it was "self bleeding". I had empty lines at least to that part, and it worked.

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! It's all done!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Guys, Have yet another roof problem on my 1998 R170 in the last twelve months. Last time the locking cable came off a trunk ram but this time my pump just spews out all the oil in just a few seconds. I'm not sure exactly where it's from but it's somewhere around the pump itself not the tank nor the lines to it. I have purchased a used replacement pump. I know it's tedious and can be an awkward job but I'm sure I'll manage. Is this the only option for me or can leaky pumps actually be repaired? Cheers from (very) sunny AUS

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Usually, the only reason that pumps (or any hydraulic ) components fail is because seals or O rings have failed. If your pump is toast, I would try taking it apart (if you're not confident, get a local hydraulic workshop to do it for you ), and changing them.

Having said that, are you sure it's the pump - can you see where the fluid is escaping? It could be one of the lines or cylinders/rams where the problem lies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.