Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys & gals , brain picking time !!
Last week I installed a set of modules from Cabrio module in a r170 facelift and everything worked fine !!!
Two or three days later , after using the car once or twice the owner calls me , saying that the windows , rear and front , won't raise on closing the roof !
The situation is :
On opening everything works fine and the front windows raise etc.
On closing the roof reaches the windscreen , the boot/trunk goes fully down , but no window movement , pump keeps going !
After checking the installation was ok , I removed the modules and returned everything to original , but the problem persists !
Modules or coincidence ?? :confused:

After reading what seems like hundreds of posts without finding anything persifically like this , I come to you all !
As the roof opens correctly I'm inclined to feel the problem is with the top micro switches and not the one in the boot/trunk ???
I've removed the windscreen cover and the headliner , checked all the micro switches and they all seem to have continuity , could it be a severed cable from the the roof switches ?? How can I check this , anyone know where the two wires ( blue /brown ) from the micro switches that run back along the roof are connected too ??

Any ideas ??? :confused::confused::confused:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,402 Posts
r170 facelift? is the issue with a r170 or r171?
since this is not a diy, i will move to r170 general discussion until i hear otherwise

·
97,402 Posts
i was just confused because i know u have a r171 and u were putting it in a r170

·
97,402 Posts
that makes 2 of us. I don't mind blowing up my stuff, but don't like to blow up others

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
There was a similar problem many moons ago. The cause was the cables breaking at the join between the roof and rear windscreen panel. It could be worth looking carefully there , and at the bottom of the rear screen - these two points being where the cable flexes the most.

·
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There was a similar problem many moons ago. The cause was the cables breaking at the join between the roof and rear windscreen panel. It could be worth looking carefully there , and at the bottom of the rear screen - these two points being where the cable flexes the most.

This is what I thought , but wondered where the cables go too , so as to be able to check continuity ??

·
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'll be checking out the wires tomorrow , but just in case , does anyone know if I can swap out the N10/3 module to test , or will another module need to be coded ??

·
Registered
239 Posts
Are you checking the micro switches with the roof closed or just pushing them manually? Although the switches may be ok could be that the roof is not latching down propery. Have you tried pushing down on the roof once its closed? I remember reading here somewhere there are two cables which latch the roof and these can stretch. Worth having a closer look under the headlining.

·
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the liner removed , I can see the latches closing and the switches being pushed , until the red button is released , as the windows don't raise , then the latches relase slightly !
For lack of arms/hands ( cant push button and check continuity at the same time ) so I checked the switches by pushing them manually .

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
I swapped out my n10-3 without recoding, didn't fix my fault but it also worked exactly like the one I took out so pretty certain it doesn't need to be coded.

Reactions: curro101

·
10,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Culprit found , as I thought , it was one of the wires from the front roof micro switches , so coincidences do happen , nothing to do with the installation of the roof modules !!

Fixed and working , tomorrow , putting everything back together .....
Broken wire :

Connector , yellow , on the right side of the boot which the wires run down to , for futur reference :

·
97,402 Posts
Great job as usual!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.