Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Aftermarket fog lamps

Your eBay lamps look good, and may well fill the hole.
You will have to measure your bumper, and tehn establish if the measurement you have matches the 4" they define. (4" is lens, hole or O/D?)

My SLK has aftermarket fog lamps, that fit well into the standard hole, look OK, but are held into the bumper area with a mess of tie-wraps, etc.
So you may be able to get trendy looking projector foglamps and fit them, or chase down alternatives.

However, your local regulations may prevent changes away from the standard, and block HID changes, so you may wish to check your options.
I would imagine they don't break very often, so scrap and recycling suppliers may be able to help.

HTH,
Anon

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Local regulations??? He lives in Texas already.
:D
I haven't come across the smiley for "tongue in cheek" yet.
And I suspect getting boots *and* spurs into the footwell would be disaster.
(In fact, without the friction from your heels, could you actually get out of an SLK? ;) )

So I made the assumption that he wanted to have a nominal car, legal to drive around the USA, and so might wish to follow local regulations.
Your opinion may differ!
:Beer:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fitting?

I struggled to replace my black hole that used to be a foglight, just like madhatters, I've got the Slk230 sport package, which is the same foglight I think as the slk32, but haven't found out for sure, but it would be sweet to just drop in a $40 replacement! Be sure to tell us if you do it.

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Fog light repaired...

Finally got into the fog light on my car, fighting my way past the bodges to mount it (and taking note, so I could reproduce them, since it sems to be working OK) and realised that it was an H3 bulb, not HID, so could just change the bulb and cure the "missing bulb" warning.
Simple once I got there, but I probably went in the hardest way (through the headlight) rather than from under the car and via the forward wing lining. Next time I will know better.

But it does make me realise that you can make anything fit the hole, if you want, and provide the finished result, since a simple round hole is easiest to fill.

Next image is the DRL in the grille next to the fog lights, and then wiring it in...

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
DRL for fog light hole

Look on the auction site, at item 230986336330, and you may find that there are new design DRL/fog lights that could satisfy your needs.
Defined as 70mm, so not matching your 4" definition, but I measured my fog-light apertures, and think 3" is a closer definition,.
Unless things *are* bigger in Texas? :rolleyes::Beer:

·
Per ardua ad cineris.
1,039 Posts
Or search for "halo fog" and you can find bright CCFL halos around H3 foglamps, to give both DRL and fogs in the same bundle.

Halo DRL, hmm, nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.