Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 SLK 55 AMG and trying to replace the front brake pads. I ordered the front pads per the Akebono website, Euro 847, but they are too small. They look like they are for 4 piston calipers not the 6 piston calipers on the front on the SLK 55 AMG.

Does anyone have the correct Akebono Euro part number for the front brake pads for SLK 55 AMG?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,091 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
The original pads for the 6 pods from MB are pretty good and cost like EUR250,- at the dealer. I thought that was expensive.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brake Pads SLK 55 AMG 6 Pot

An update on my search for brake pads.

The 171 SLK 55 AMG, prior to the face lift, has 6 pot calipers on the front and larger rotors. I believe these are the same as later model 171’s with the 030 Performance Option. Most fitment guides list the early 171’s with the 4 pot calipers and list an optional fitment for “performance option”, which didn’t really exist then but actually what the car has for brakes.

I just spoke with Akebono technical support and they do not make front pads to fit this vehicle. The representative said the vehicle was not popular enough to spend the money to make the tooling necessary to manufacture this part. What he did share was the FMSI (Friction Materials Standards Institute) Number. Brake friction manufactures developed a standard numbering system over 60 years ago to aid design and manufacturing process. For us, it makes it easier to identify similar brake pads. The FMSI number for this application is D1116 (SLK 55 AMG with 6 pot before face lift). Some manufacturers use this FMSI number as part of their part number.

I have found a limited number of manufactures that make a ceramic brake pad (want low dust) in the D1116 size.

I decided to go with EBC Redstuff ceramics
DP31591C - Front with 6 pot
DP31490C - Rear

I hope this helps someone in the future.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,091 Posts
Thanks for posting

of course oem stuff works great :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
Akebono EUR847 should be the correct pads, it is right in their catalog and the 6 pistons on the early R171 are NOT the same as the P030 package. That is probably what they don't have pads for. EUR603 is the rear, I have them sitting at home but haven't put them on yet. I can't wait to get rid of the brake dust from the stock pads!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts