Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 02 R170 (if you couldn't tell by my user name) and my power seats decide when they want to work and when they don't. I can't find any pattern to when the will or won't. What are the first things you would check?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,413 Posts
moving your post from general discussion to r170 general discussion

·
Minion
5,602 Posts
Hi there,

Your seats are fine and your fuse is fine. It's your power seat relay switch behind the dash that's the problem.

Do this: the next time your seats decide to go out, knock on your dash under the steering wheel a little, just give it a few good raps and try again. When the seat keeps moving you'll know for sure. I just had this issue a few months back and the indy showed me the path and diagram on the laptop when hooked up to my odb reader schematic.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I have an 02 R170 (if you couldn't tell by my user name) and my power seats decide when they want to work and when they don't. I can't find any pattern to when the will or won't. What are the first things you would check?
That's a common problem.
Check this thread for a DIY fix ;)

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
K40 seat relay ........

But you've known that now for 2 hours at least! ;);)

Reactions: my02'R170

·
Registered
194 Posts
yes,+1 the seat relay....new one about $30 or follow links and re-solder it.Worked for me (the soldering was done for $20 by the upholsterer who put in new heaters for total $100)
Heaters were $68 on ebay and work very well.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
Sorry you are right its just the 'seat relay' not the k40 module.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hurray for the seat relay fix!

Thanks everybody for the responses to this thread. I did the relay fix and I'm back in business. The solder points inside the relay were smaller than the pictures made it look but the pics were accurate and EXTREMELY helpful.
Thanks again to all who posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was about to say K40? are y'all sure? I just soldered my k40 thingy trying to fix another problem and my seats were intermittent before and they still are. i'm about to click on the thread above to see what they say. I don't move my seats often but when I want to I want to be able to do so...nuisance

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I was about to say K40? are y'all sure? I just soldered my k40 thingy trying to fix another problem and my seats were intermittent before and they still are. i'm about to click on the thread above to see what they say. I don't move my seats often but when I want to I want to be able to do so...nuisance
It's the seat relay, located under the dash =)
Make sure you solder connections thoroughly to avoid taking apart your dash again :grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.