Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, since spring is coming i have finally put some hard work into getting the roof working on my project slk230. I have replaced several switches, lubed and cleaned everything and i now have a functioning top except for the following quirk, actually two that could be related. When i pull the button back, the windows go down and the trunk opens about and inch. I have realized that i have to pull up on the trunk and it will continue to open normally. The issue i have at this point is that the trunk does not open quite enough to engage the switch by the tail light. It seems that it should open about an inch more than it does. If i bypass the switch, the rest of the opening process works normally. I have searched and searched and that is the only reason i have gotten this far. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Scott

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,379 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, that is how i fixed the many other issues. I'm thinking the issue could be the mechanical latch the trunk lid goes into

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,156 Posts
When you say 'pull up on the trunk', is that from the rear of the car, or the rear of the back window?

The cables may be catching inside the rear wings.
The boot might be marginally misaligned.

How good are your struts?
If you let go of the trunk 12 inches from closed does it:
Drop and shut.
Drop but rest just before shutting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By pulling up on the trunk i mean pulling up by the rear window so it will completely detach and the trunk continues on its own from there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry, missed the second part of your question. The struts are new oem. I was able to get a set of the latches in the trunk from a local salvage yard. I am thinking swapping them out may be my next move.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,156 Posts
Before buying anything make sure the steel cabling (not the electrics, though worth checking that) is not snagging.

As soon as resistance to movement is detected these roofs stop to protect the mechanism.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Success! At least for the most part. I have now put the top up and down completely on its own power about 6-8 times! Finally have the smile a slk should evoke. I believe the main culprit was that the part at the bottom of the drivers side cylinder that holds the little ball at the end of the pull was bent 90 degrees and was not fully pulling on the ball to unlatch the mechanical part. I also slightly adjusted the trunk latches.
As far as the trunk needing to open another inch to engage the switch by the tail light, temporarily, i have about an inch of cardboard wrapped around the peg on the switch. Seems to do the job :)
Thanks for all of the suggestions to thoroughly check out the cables! Y'all are the best! as we say in the south

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.