Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

* Registered
2007 SLK 280
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can help! Am the owner of a 2007 SLK280 Convertible which is becoming near on impossible to drive at night and/or in the rain. Condensation builds up so quickly causing mist on all windows. Turn on front screen de-mister and am hit by a constant blast of ridiculously hot air which I can't leave on for more than a few seconds before I start to cook! Clears the screen quick enough but not before it mists over completely for a few seconds....nothing damp in the car either so does anybody know what the problem could be? Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance for your help! 馃槉

Premium Member 2008 SLK350
Hey Sarah, have you tried leaving your AC on? Failing that, make sure your recirculation switch is off as this can make my 2008 steam up really quickly.

ATB: John.

* Registered
2007 SLK 280
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John...yes have tried both but no joy. The front screen de-mister does the job but pretty sure it shouldn't be doing it as it is. The heat that comes from it is just impossible to drive with it on for any length of time at all. Keep having to turn it on and off every few minutes to keep the windows clear. Car is always steamed up when I go to get in it - don't know if that points to any other cause than the good old British weather?!

Premium Member 2008 SLK350
Thanks John...yes have tried both but no joy. The front screen de-mister does the job but pretty sure it shouldn't be doing it as it is. The heat that comes from it is just impossible to drive with it on for any length of time at all. Keep having to turn it on and off every few minutes to keep the windows clear. Car is always steamed up when I go to get in it - don't know if that points to any other cause than the good old British weather?!
You may have a wee leak somewhere. Have you checked your carpets for moisture Sarah?

Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
Hope someone can help! Am the owner of a 2007 SLK280 Convertible which is becoming near on impossible to drive at night and/or in the rain. Condensation builds up so quickly causing mist on all windows. Turn on front screen de-mister and am hit by a constant blast of ridiculously hot air which I can't leave on for more than a few seconds before I start to cook! Clears the screen quick enough but not before it mists over completely for a few seconds....nothing damp in the car either so does anybody know what the problem could be? Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance for your help! 馃槉
Sorry, just hazarding a guess, but it sounds like it may be the battery tray full of water. Worth a look, see.

* Registered
2007 SLK 280
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, just hazarding a guess, but it sounds like it may be the battery tray full of water. Worth a look, see.
Thank you - will definitely take a look...I say me - will probably have to get someone to take a look! #womandriver:rolleyes:

Premium Member 1999 SLK230-sold
Take a towel and use rubbing alcohol on all your windows if you do not have tint on the windows it should fix the problem.

Reactions: etyu

Premium Member 2007 SLK55 AMG
Thank you - will definitely take a look...I say me - will probably have to get someone to take a look! #womandriver:rolleyes:
I have faith, just open the hood and near the windshield on the passenger side will be a battery compartment. It is under the drain tray, but still visible. There shouldn't be any standing water. If there is, the drains need to be cleared; pretty straight forward. (and lots of help on this site that give clear directions)

* Registered
2007 SLK 280
Discussion Starter #14
Ahhh thank you so much for your help - I have a lot to check out if it ever stops raining here!

* Registered
2007 SLK 280
Discussion Starter #15
You鈥檙e welcome Sarah. Best of luck sorting it out, it must be a real frustration...

Let us know how you get on. 馃憤馃憤馃憤
I definitely will! Just waiting for a dry day so I can make a start on my growing to do list. Everyone here so helpful - really do appreciate it 馃槉

* Registered
2007 SLK 280
Discussion Starter #16
I have faith, just open the hood and near the windshield on the passenger side will be a battery compartment. It is under the drain tray, but still visible. There shouldn't be any standing water. If there is, the drains need to be cleared; pretty straight forward. (and lots of help on this site that give clear directions)
i welcomed her didn't I? :D
Yes sir you did - my bad! 馃檲馃槀

Super Moderator (UK)
Lots of good suggestions for you to follow already.

A bit of background to why some suggestions are made.
The vents in the battery (especially passenger side) let water through to the battery compartment.
If the drain in the bottom of that is blocked, water collects.
This is close to the intake for the heater (which is basically behind the glove box).

Another reason that we suggest the heater.
The bit below the windscreen also has drain holes which can block.
Again, water collects and can run into the heater.
The heater is simply a fan in a Tupperware box, so water has nowhere to go.

So, first check the passenger carpet underneath the glove box.
If damp then you have your culprit.

Checking the battery compartment is pretty easy, you do not even need tools.
Just turn three tabs 90 degrees and pull the cover upwards.

The other easy check is the seals.
Sounds like you are not getting drips onto you, or the passenger seat.
So, check to see if water is getting in underneath the inside of the side mirrors.
You may well see water stains from repeated leaks and drying.

Look along the rear parcel shelf.
Any signs of water staining?

Good news, cheap and easy fix.
The roof seals need treating to put the flexibility back into them.

If you are not happy doing this yourself, just ask a mate and save garage fees.

* Registered
2007 SLK 280
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you so much! Pretty confident I'll be able to get this sorted once and for all with all the help here - much appreciated 馃槉

Registered 1998 SLK230
Welcome on board @SarahAnderson from Rainy Leicester (not today)!

This issue, fogging windows and post(s) 26 and on provides forgotten lesson(s) from school and other users.

And because all of it is R171 I can't help, but to confirm general settings. A/C ON and outside T ( I have color codes, not numbers - analogue century - cold - blue bars, hot - red bars and outside T - white bars ) with air flow set in a way that can't give you a headache, should do the Job!

The rest is part of the Adventure you can share with us, later.
And enjoy your stay!

Super Moderator (UK)
^ Which reminds me.
Use the quick clear and the set back to normal toward top and set temp to circa 22/24.
May not prevent (depends on cause) but should keep it clearer for longer before using the
quick clear.

Also, Merc in their never ending wisdom went through a period at the start of the 171 of
AC light on, meant AC was actually OFF!!!
Later, they went to light on, ac on.
So, might be worth trying the opposite of what you have been doing with the ac.
We don't know why either.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts