Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a '98 SLK R170 and my indicators all of a sudden did not work. I drove for 5 minutes, then it stopped working. I tried restarting my car but it still did not work...

My indicator stalk would not signal and my dashboard did not light up when I tried to use the stalk. My hazard/emergency lights work, both side lights up (front, side, rear).

I have read some threads about the turn signals staying on, or one side on and another off. But my turn signals refuse to turn on at all when I use my indicator stalk. They only turn on when I use the hazard signal.

I am REALLY hoping this can be a cheap fix...

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,610 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

We’d like you to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.[/B][/COLOR]

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’!
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car). http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Faulty indicator stalk, i.e., faulty connections within the stalk assembly probably?

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
208 Posts
agree with Cockneyrick, if it were fuses than the hazards wouldn't operate. I too think its something mechanical associated with the stalk.

Have you trying wiggling the stalk around a bit, pushing in all directions to see if (you think) it operates correctly?

Does the stalk do other things (sorry we was an R171 so not familiar with the 170) like high beam, wipers etc? do they all work?

·
Registered
267 Posts
yep, i reckon the Indy assembly is faulty. When using them, does it feel different in the movement?

Oh & Hi Craig, not reached 15 posts so cant reply to ur pm :butt:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: I have been playing with the stalk to check other problems.
High beams work, just the flash. High beams do not stay on.
Wipers work fine.

I am starting to think it is a relay problem more than the stalk. I am going to check the relays today to make sure.

Thanks again for all the advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update 2: My relays all look fine, clean like it was just off the factory floor.
I checked all my fuses, fine except one. Don't think it has anything to do with the issue, but I will replace and find out.

I was really hoping it was not a issue with the indicator stalk.... but that is the only part I have not looked at.
Does anyone know where I can find a DIY on taking off the steering wheel and accessing the indicator stalk?

Thanks.

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,049 Posts
Looks to me indicator stalk faulty. !
Hazards will work as on another system as such .

Be careful as you have got the airbag on your steering wheel and steering angle sensor i believe .
To be removed .

If you dont know what your doing stay away . ??

But if your tech minded .:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.