Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summary:
Can anyone identify the model of the rims in the picture or their width? I'll be taking the rims off shortly to get the tires replaced if there is a model number visible without removing the tire, but I want to order the tires first. If 225/50/17 winter tires rub slightly do you think 225/45/17s will be okay?

------

These rims, along with the shown Michelin 225/50/17 snow tires were on my 1999 SLK230 when I received it. The tires are obviously a bit too big and the fronts rub what I think is the inside wheel well during moderate to sharp turns. There are also a few gouges in outer edges of the tires where I presume the car bottomed out. After replacing the original worn out shocks with a pair of Bilstein B6's I haven't noticed any more bottoming out. I also plan to replace some of the suspension bushings and motor and transmission mounts very soon which should help too. A few clips on the trim of the wheel wells are also broken and that can be tightened up slightly.

The car also came with a fairly beat up pair of 16" rims (I presume the original ones) with worn out summer tires. I already have a nice pair of snow tires in the proper size that will fit these rims and the beat up 16"s seem much more appropriate for winter. The car won't likely see many winter miles, but it's nice to have a backup.

The pictured rims are rather nice and it seems appropriate to replace the oversized winter tires with a nice set of performance all seasons (I'm leaning towards the Continental DWS 06 in 225/45/17 on all 4 corners. They are asymmetrical and I would like to be able to rotate them). I've read that 225/45/17's should fit this car (the diameter is almost 1" less than the current tire, but the width is very close), but if the rims are 8" or wider I might still have problems. I could also go 215/45/17 which is very close to the front tire size, but I a fair amount narrower in the rear. Thoughts? Other warnings or suggestions?

Also, before someone suggests a true summer tire I feel the weather in the the Ohio and Michigan area is too volatile. I recently saw 80F days (I stayed off the road with the snow tires) and days later drove through frost and hail near Lansing, Mi. The storm hit quick and hard and with summer tires I would likely have had no choice but to pull off the road and wait out the worst of it. You might be able to convince me, but I value safety and comfort more than a little extra performance. I would probably feel different if I owned an SLK55 AMG or something similar.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts

·
98,421 Posts
More.............

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
Pretty sure those are Mandrus Millenium wheels. They come in every size you could imagine, so just looking at a picture if not going to tell you much.

·
98,421 Posts
similar to pic 110 in my post :D

·
98,421 Posts
well he said newer mb wheels so maybe someone put a Mandrus center cap in there or poster thought the M stood for Mercedes? :D

·
98,421 Posts
Hee Hee, to be honest I stopped counting at 11 :D
I'm not doubting or arguing with you :D

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
well he said newer mb wheels so maybe someone put a Mandrus center cap in there or poster thought the M stood for Mercedes?
Jeff it's "poser", not poster. We forgive you.

And I'm just picking on Jeff not the poster. What's in a brand name? Nothing!

·
98,421 Posts

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
Heh heh, no worries. The only thing that is a bit confusing is the apparant lack of "lip" on the wheel in that picture. If the wheel is so narrow that even a 225 tire is too wide, then perhaps it is a custom size not listed on the website. What they have listed appears to have a minimum lip of 0.75" which is more than what I see in the pic.

I tried looking for other pics of this wheel on our site, but no luck so far. There is this picture I found of a large version of the wheel on a Crossfire, which also appears to have next to no lip on it:

http://www.elementwheels.com/vehicleimages/millenniumsilcrossfire.jpg

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Not sure I understand the subject of this thread but those wheels look (to me) just like ones on an 05 AMG I looked at the other day. Would the model number of the wheel be on the data card? (cue the Mod Master). I can give you the VIN

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Heh heh, no worries. The only thing that is a bit confusing is the apparant lack of "lip" on the wheel in that picture. If the wheel is so narrow that even a 225 tire is too wide, then perhaps it is a custom size not listed on the website. What they have listed appears to have a minimum lip of 0.75" which is more than what I see in the pic.

I tried looking for other pics of this wheel on our site, but no luck so far. There is this picture I found of a large version of the wheel on a Crossfire, which also appears to have next to no lip on it:

http://www.elementwheels.com/vehicleimages/millenniumsilcrossfire.jpg

Poor assumption on my part that they are Mercedes rims. Thanks for the correct id. They are still a lot more attractive than the stock 16" rims I also have.

I see what you mean about the narrow wheel lip, but I'm not to sure it matters. 225's are definitely not to narrow for the rim. The current tires are slightly wider than the rims. My guess is that they are 7.5" but possibly 7" or maybe even 8". There seems to be a lot of side wall bulge for 8" rims, but I think 50 sidewall snowtires are always going to bulge a bit.

I guess the real question now is if the current tires now rub slightly on tight turn will moving to 225/45/17 be enough a change to stop the rubbing. The new tires would be almost an inch less in diameter, but will be almost the same width. I could play it safe and move to 215/45/17 tires, but that seems narrow simply in principle and maybe legitimately if the rims are 8".

Thanks all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.