Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I AM TRYING TO REMOVE THE AIRBAG...SO I CAN GET TO THE STEERING WHEEL ANGLE SENSOR, BUT THE T-30 TOOL I AM USING CAN'T GET THE JOB DONE. I EVEN TRIED MOVING THE STEERING TO GET BETTER ROOM... BUT I STILL FAILED.

WHAT'S THE BEST T-30 TOOL TO USE? THE CAR DEALERSHIP WANT TO CHARGE ME $720 TO INSTALL IT. I PREFER TO SAVE MONEY THAN SPEND IT.:grin:

THE TOOL I GOT TODAY WAS FROM WALMART I PAID $12.00 :grin: ATTACH TO THIS THREAD IS THE PHOTOGRAPH OF MY TOOL. THANKS!

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
1,761 Posts
Hi All
We had to get an airbag off the other week & the Allen key type just broke getting one screw out , so ended up using the socket type 3/8" drive that did the job .i have had afew Allen type torx keys brake on me over the years & stop shouting at me I'm only in the uk lol.

Cheers

Andy

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
Ditto to the 3/8 socket option - Thats what I use on mine as you get plenty of leverage with a socket wrench ..

·
*DAS/STAR Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
4,038 Posts
'Just in case' of what?:grin:
As a minimum, if you disconnect the Airbag with the battery connected you'll get SRS errors that'll need reseting.

At the other end of things .... Airbag detonation ...:surprise: !!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I hate airbags - almost as much as Mr Takata ;)

(Car manufacturers (mainly Honda) have now recalled 6 million cars equipped with killer airbags made by Takata - Mercedes haven't recalled any as the Takata airbags they fit weren't affected. Hope they're right!)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dear Curro,

I got this tool before your post...it's my third attempt at removing the airbag. This is Torx-30 screwdriver 4 inches and 5/8 of an inch. It couldn't reach the screw. I think the bulky handle is to blame for this failure.

For my fourth and final attempt at this I ordered a T-30 . 25 Drive Long Torx Bit Socket for $4.90 plus Shipping:$5.72=$10.62

If this don't work I will take it to the car dealership and pay $720.00 to replace the bad Steering Wheel Angle Sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I give up!!!! After 5 attempts, i quit!!!!

It fits... But when i loosen the screw... I hear a breaking off noise or a snapping off nosie...

What is that!? I sparyed wd40- that didn't help.

I'm about to take my car to the car dealership and pay $729.00 to get it fix.

: (

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
If it's never been loosened, the screw/bolt may make a snapping sound as it "breaks free" (make sure you're undoing not doing up, sometimes working from the back to the front our minds plays tricks on us)...I wouldn't spray too much in there with electrical connections.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I just got back from the car dealership and got my Steering Wheel Angle Sensor replaced. And it cost me $714.25! Ouch!!!!!

My service adviser said I loosen one screw!!!!!! But we don't know which one!

Now, I get in my car and I want the top down from the interior and I can't!!... it's won't come down... I have to do it with the key... using the key works!....I thought the mechanic messed that up, but my service adviser... basically said that's impossible... and will cost me $120 to have it tested...now if the test results state it was their fault then I don't have to pay.

Moderator Curro101 or anybody, do you know how I can get that interior rooftop switch to work?

Thank You

Attachments

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Are you sure it worked before it went in, it's strange it's not working now, just after they've been working on the car, but no doubt they'll find an excuse to get out of fixing it !

You might want to start by trying a battery reset, removing the negative from the battery for 30mins or so and then re-connecting (without hesitation/avoiding sparks), remember you'll need to reset the windows and clock afterwards..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.