Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Today was MOT day and... my SLK did not pass :crying:

When starting the car - the SRS, handbrake lights etc come on - the check engine light should have come on as well, but it didn't.

Looked at it with Xentry and it said that there was a fault code (something like P0014/P0015/P0016, forgot it, but is was about the cam/crankshaft and distribution chain being to long).

The main problem is that the previous owner turned the CEL off so it wouldn't show on the dashboard at all. The mechanic tried to turn it on again, but he failed. I'm trying to help him by getting some tips from you. I've searched forums all day long, but could only find guides about turning the CEL off :wink:

If we don't get the CEL to be on during the start (together with SRS, handbrack etc), the car cannot pass MOT...

Thank you so much in advance!

SLK R171 350 from 2006 - The Netherlands

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,760 Posts
How do you know the previous owner turned it off, did he tell you ?

Do you know how he turned it off, are you sure it was with DAS and not physically, can you ask him how (and why) ?

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
First port of call would be a bulb test in the Instrument Cluster with DAS

The CEL CAN be disabled with Dev mode DAS - it'll need Developer mode to re-enable in the Instrument Cluster settings ....

If the CEL still doesn't show then I'd be checking the cluster for signs of it being covered up or removed (it's a LED on the mainboard .. the most likely option is that the back of the dial has been taped over)

Attachments

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you know the previous owner turned it off, did he tell you ?

Do you know how he turned it off, are you sure it was with DAS and not physically, can you ask him how (and why) ?
I can't contact the previous owner anymore :( The mechanic told me that it was done through the DAS (he didn't tell me how he knew), and when I asked him if the bulb (okay, now I know it's a led) could be broken he said 'No very unlikely'

In which ways can the CEL be turned off with Xentry/DAS?

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First port of call would be a bulb test in the Instrument Cluster with DAS

The CEL CAN be disabled with Dev mode DAS - it'll need Developer mode to re-enable in the Instrument Cluster settings ....

If the CEL still doesn't show then I'd be checking the cluster for signs of it being covered up or removed (it's a LED on the mainboard .. the most likely option is that the back of the dial has been taped over)
Thank you! Do you know where to search in DAS/Xentry to the instrument cluster test? That wasn't done yesterday. I'm certainly gonna drive by this afternoon to ask him to test that :smile:

And do you know how to get into Developer mode (just in case my mechanic doesn't know)?

·
4,024 Posts
Morning

You either do or don't have the developer version of DAS - if there's a couple of pages in German during the start up, or you can see menu items that say either "Development Data" or "Diagnose to plant specifications" then its a Developer setup ..

Bulb test is in the IC module, ACTUATIONS --> BULB TEST ...

If it has been disabled, you should be asking why.....

·
10,760 Posts
I can't contact the previous owner anymore :( The mechanic told me that it was done through the DAS (he didn't tell me how he knew), and when I asked him if the bulb (okay, now I know it's a led) could be broken he said 'No very unlikely'

In which ways can the CEL be turned off with Xentry/DAS?
I was thinking along the lines of what Sean suggested, that they possibly covered the led with something inside the cluster, or similar....

At this moment, I'd be a bit more worried as to "why" someone would have "blanked" out the CEL, which ever way it was done!

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You either do or don't have the developer version of DAS - if there's a couple of pages in German during the start up, or you can see menu items that say either "Development Data" or "Diagnose to plant specifications" then its a Developer setup ..

I was thinking along the lines of what Sean suggested, that they possibly covered the led with something inside the cluster, or similar....

At this moment, I'd be a bit more worried as to "why" someone would have "blanked" out the CEL, which ever way it was done!
Thanks! I will asked if the mechanic has the developer version and if he would run the light test.

Also, I want to take off the cluster. I've found a description from this link: http://www.slkworld.com/slk-r171-general-discussion/48985-r171-instrument-cluster-removal.html
1. Unclip both silver trim strips below the cluster
2. Unlock cluster by pressing using a long thin object in the now exposed holes.
3. Pull cluster carefully forwards

These are the silver trim strips, right?

We didn't found any major issues with the car when connected to Xentry, so it's a mystery why the CEL should be off.

Attachments

·
10,760 Posts
I can't see your photo, but the silver trims are the small ones either side of the steering wheel on the dash, that match the one over the glovebox.
You also need to pull out the flat plastic trim in between the cluster dials.
Careful with the white catches that hold the cluster in place, they're known to fall off...

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Light test, developers version and online connection didn't work :(

Thanks! I will ask if the mechanic has the developer version and if he would run the light test.
So, I asked...
1. He had run the light test and all the lights came on, that excludes the led being removed or covered.
2. Also, he has the developers version of DAS/Xentry and turned the CEL on, but the car didn't respond to it. He has never seen that before.
3. And on top of that, he connected the car to Mercedes online (that should give the car the right settings again) and even that didn't work! :mad:

Tomorrow he will execute a software update, that is the last thing he knows he can try to do.

Does anyone else have any ideas left?0:)

·
4,024 Posts
He'll need to do an IC reset after changing the setting to enable to CEL in DAS - it's a couple of menu levels back ....

Reactions: vennarenate

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The mechanic had already done the CEL enabling with the Instrument Cluster reset. It didn't work. Trying a software update right now.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
137 Posts
If everything else fails, see if you can wire up the engine light to the airbag light to come on together so you can pass the MOT.

·
Registered 2006 SLK350
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fixed!!

Had a 2 hour drive to get to a car electronic expert. He fix it, although it had nothing to do with the electronics not functioning.... because... well .... see picture

After cleaning up this stupid stuff inside the cluster, it looked like this:

Never thought I would be happy to see the check engine light!

And of course with that the fault codes:

The EPC malfunction belongs to the CEL fault codes. However, we couldn't understand why I've never gotten that EPC warning before (since the CEL light was burning all the time).

The mistake the mechanic had made, was to think that the light that says "CHECK ENGINE" should be the one lighting up. Although the SLK's have that little engine picture as well. That one was covered up.

Thank you all for helping me!

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.