Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having such a hard time trying to unscrew these screws/bolts to change my brake pads. I'm using 13mm deep socket and ratchet.
Turning the screw counter clockwise I can see the top screw moving but it's not coming out. I cannot use the same socket and ratchet for bottom screws because they are too wide, hitting the brake wires. This is driving me insane.

What correct tools do I need? Thank you!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Before continuing, those are the rear brakes, did you follow the procedure to retract the electronic parking brake?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES. I release the electronic parking and put brake pads into assembly position. I can heard them move. Took cap off of brake fluid reservoir.

Before continuing, those are the rear brakes, did you follow the procedure to retract the electronic parking brake?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Those are pins and they are usually greased up pretty good. This causes some suction and they don't come out as easy as you think they will. They will have quite a bit of threads too, so it takes some turning to get them out. Gearwrech is the way to go for the bottoms or you can just do a lot of turning with a regular wrench. Be careful not to strip them as they look pretty damaged already. You could maybe get by with a short socked and a wobble extension. I use wobble extensions a ton, they are great.

Decent set for cheap:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-drive-impact-wobble-socket-extension-set-67065.html

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! To loosen the pins, do I turn them clockwise or counter clockwise?

As for Gearwrech, what size would I need? I have 14mm, 15mm and they are too wide for the top and bottom.

Those are pins and they are usually greased up pretty good. This causes some suction and they don't come out as easy as you think they will. They will have quite a bit of threads too, so it takes some turning to get them out. Gearwrech is the way to go for the bottoms or you can just do a lot of turning with a regular wrench. Be careful not to strip them as they look pretty damaged already. You could maybe get by with a short socked and a wobble extension. I use wobble extensions a ton, they are great.

Decent set for cheap:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-3-8-eighth-inch-drive-impact-wobble-socket-extension-set-67065.html

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Thank you! To loosen the pins, do I turn them clockwise or counter clockwise?

As for Gearwrech, what size would I need? I have 14mm, 15mm and they are too wide for the top and bottom.
13 mm socket or spanner anti clock wise but you must hold the other end hexagonal socket with a spanner or it wont undo !
Further down from 13 mm socket is the other nut / bolt as such . [ 14mm - 16mm size ]

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Delucas The other end hexagonal socket you are referring to is A or B (please see picture attached).

13 mm socket or spanner anti clock wise but you must hold the other end hexagonal socket with a spanner or it wont undo !
Further down from 13 mm socket is the other nut / bolt as such . [ 14mm - 16mm size ]

Attachments

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is adjustable one the same as pliers? I tried pliers and didn't work either lol.

I wonder what of brake materials does Mercedes use. My rear rims hardly have any brake dust. Brake dust build up fast on the front ones.

Try to use a 19mm if not use an adjustable one.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cannot loosen the pins no matter what. They are so TIGHT. I gave up :crying:

Now I have to find auto shops that would be okay with me providing my own brake pads. I'm okay with being charged more for labor.

·
Registered 2012 SLK 55 w/P30
3,421 Posts
You probably can find a shop that can break the seized pins loose and then finish the job yourself.

·
Registered 2012 SLK 55 w/P30
3,421 Posts
All they’re going to be doing is loosening them up, not actually removing them so that when you get to them they will still be loose. If they need to be in any particular position to be loosened the shop will take care of it.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I cannot loosen the pins no matter what. They are so TIGHT. I gave up :crying:

Now I have to find auto shops that would be okay with me providing my own brake pads. I'm okay with being charged more for labor.
A decent 13mm short not long socket should be used decent ratchet and a good sharp strong pull should crack off the 13mm head !
Anti clockwise so left turn .

Failing that a long decent 13mm spanner with gloves on to gain extra pull .
But its 13mm hex socket looks new and your car is a newish 172 so should be easy to come off .

Drink some red bull or get a neighbour to crack it off for you its is an easy thing to undo .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts