Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying an install of aftermarket HU (Kenwood DDX672BH). I've followed the wiring configurations listed in linuxpro's DIY post to MB A20 harness: Battery to Blue/Red, Ground to Brown, and ACC to cigarette lighter. I got nuthin'. I took multimeter across the blue/red and brown, and I get no voltage (cig lighter checks out okay). Everything else is working fine with the car...just not the HU. I've not yet attempted to re-install the A20 HU, but I'm hoping I can avoid and someone here can help. I also rebooted the car with no success.

Thanks!

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
Very daft Q, but have you checked the fuses ..?

Nos 26, 41, 47 & 64 according to the sheet ..?

Reactions: etyu

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,555 Posts
Please don't take this as disrespectful, this is just a basic thing for you to check. No need to answer, just check it off and move on. As you know your problem sounds unusual, and thus we eliminate the basics before we go to the bizarre.

Have you confirmed that you have an A20 and not COMAND? I only ask this question because I didn't think many 55's had the low budget A20 headunit. An A20 has only amber colors on the screen. The COMAND has silver buttons touching the screen on both sides. If you have COMAND then I believe the pin outs on the harnesses are different as well as the speaker terminations.

Other than that I'm with Sean, maybe the fuse was blown, and some HU's I have read about have the power wires reversed. Regardless if you have the right pin diagrams you should be able to figure it out. The other thing to remember is that you will need to power the antenna amp with a switched 12V to get any radio reception. I missed it as did several others. Mine came from the HU but if you want to get it from somewhere else feel free.

Anyway, you'll become adept at taking the center console apart. I sure did when I switched out mine. :)

Best Wishes

Reactions: etyu

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so thanks to everyone for chiming in. I did a cursory review of the fuses and didn't see anything (flashlight to fuse while still in place). However, previous owner lost my fuse chart, so I had to locate one online which was just another difficulty on an already amorphous pile of complications. So I found that, reviewed the fuses (thanks for telling which to check, btw), and it was indeed a fuse. Changed that fuse, and, lo and behold, I have power!!! (...and crappy sound...)

So I continued to follow the same harness wire configurations that linuxpro did, reconfiguring the aftermarket harness that I got (Connects2 CT20MC01) -- just pulled the pins and rearranged them -- and, voila!, blessed sound! Sounds so much better than crappy A20 unit!

I highly recommend changing out the head unit to anyone who is thinking about it. I'm happy to share my experience and details to anyone who wants.

And, yes, I have become quite adept at taking out center console!

Thanks again, all.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,370 Posts
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,030 Posts
Ta Da....!

Reactions: jbanks15

·
* Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG