Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having difficulty buying a set of wheelnuts through my local dealer (Limoges). Those offered are quite different to the photo of two snapped ones that broke when new tyres/tires were fitted. Dealer thinks my wheels (pic attached) are not original but I think they are standard. Thoughts, suggestions & any used nuts greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
I cant say on a 170 but on a 171 the OEM wheel bolts do not have a straight chamfer like those in your photo. The look more like the ones you get with after market alloys. The OEM wheels and bolts on a 171 have a curved shoulder. I have OEM rear and after market fronts and carry two different locking bolts. Using the wrong shaped bolts would mean that the shoulder wouldnt match the wheel. Look down the hole that the bolt goes in. If the chamfer is flat then dont use OEM curved bolts as they will only make contact in a small area of the bolt hole. Same applies if the bottom of the bolt hole has a curved surface then the bolts must have the same profile

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Hi, thanks for those thoughts & particularly the picture of the wheelstuds (or are they nuts?). Your plane-shouldered ones look like a longer version of what the dealer offered. His shoulder was half the length you show. Maybe he just picked the wrong part or maybe my wheels are aftermarket after all - although the stud-seats are coned/tapered (good question you asked) to accept the studs.

I noticed KBA 44081 cast into the wheel-rim. Anyone know whether that's a genuine Merc part or usual supplier for the 170 model?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys - an update but first thanks to JonB & 320dreamer for their invaluable help. My problem is sorted thanks to Mercedes tech help confirming that my wheels are aftermarket and the UK company www.wheelsnthings.com (+44(0)845 2630148) who have proved VERY helpful and supplied the necessary replacement 60degree cone shouldered bolts. Hope something there helps someone else, regards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.