Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HELP 2001 Mercedes SLk230 problems P0705 "Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)"

32K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  ichris93 
#1 ·
Have a 2001 SLK230 that won't shift out of second gear. Check engine light is on and getting code P0705 "Transmission Range Sensor Circuit Malfunction (PRNDL Input)"

Have to shut off the car to put the car in reverse or park. This is an automatic transmission. Any ideas what is wrong? Could low trans fluid be the problem?

#2 ·
from a google search:

The defective part is the gear shift assembly module that's under the shifter.

#4 ·
hope that is the easy fix

#5 ·
Jeff,
Can you "Reboot" an R170? (Disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes. Reset the Window travel limits. )

That's a common answer for an R171, anyway.

#7 ·
Our 2001 SLK320 w/ "one-touch shift" refused to come out of Park & the check engine light came on today when my wife was out shopping. I checked it out with my OBD code reader and it was a P0705.
To get the car home, I cleared the code with the ODB scanner and was able to get the car into Reverse, then into Drive. The CEL light came on again and once home and turned off, the car would not come out of Park again.

The STAR Service CD covers removal & disassembly of the "Not with one-touch shift" (AR27.60-P-0920B). Does anyone know if there is a similar document on the CD for the one-touch shift?
Document GF27.10-P-0001-04GB shows the components of the one touch shift, but has no disassembly instructions. It shows a S16/5 Electronic selector lever control module, but a search on that didn't reveal any further documents on the CD.

I can lift the gear display cover (with the summer/winter switch) and see the circuit board. I'm first going to try to clean that using a cotton swab and electronic circuit board cleaner. If that fails, I'll try removing the entire unit.

Frank

#9 ·
I've been googling..

What does this mean? OBD Code P0705refers to
The park/neutral position (PNP) switch includes a transmission range switch. The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position when the shift lever is in the N or P shift position and sends a signal to the Transmission Control Module (TCM).
Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0705
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0705
- Open or short park/neutral position switch circuit - Poor park/neutral position switch circuit connection - Misadjusted park/neutral position switch - Park/neutral position switch may be faulty The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The transmission range switch detects the selector lever position and sends a signal to the TCM.

Another googler said he spilled coffee over it:
So, I took apart the top of the shifter(wood/plastic trim) and I took off the WS(winter summer mode) switch...blew it off with some canned air and let sit. It's now working. On top of that, I cleared out the codes and no more errors...we'll see what happens later. You really should clean the corrosion off the board. Use a little isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip.

#10 ·
Thanks everyone, forgot to check in, bought a used shifter off ebay and installed it and it worked! :tazz:

In the installation I found out why it broke ... the shifter litterarly sits on the floor .. you can SEE the floor when you take the shifter out, so I concluded it was because I drove through a big puddle which fried the shifter, yes if you drive through a big enough puddle, water will touch the shifter and fry it .. pretty bad design but I shouldn't have driven over the big puddle anyways ...

Shifter is installed, car works perfect! thanks for everyones help!

#11 ·
I had a drink sitting above the gear box and condensation went into the tran control module. Gauges went all wacky and the CEL light is on. A buddy towed it home for me on a trailer and I pushed it into the garage. After sitting over night I removed the gear knob, trim and cover to the TCM. Then I took a hair dryer to heat it up a little bit. Low and behold it started and shifted beautifully on my drive to pick my son up from school. It was getting dark so I put the headlights on and guess what? It wouldn't come out of first gear. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned my lights off. Started out again and it shifted fine.

I'm assuming I will still need to replace the TCM but is there another issue that connects the lights to the TCM? Seems really odd.

I'm going to try to find my ODBII scanner and see what codes it is throwing.

#13 ·
02 slk 230 transmission and heat problems

On occasion after start the transmission will not shift out of low. If I shut it off and start it again, it works as intended. A second problem is that the temperature selector for the climate control seems to fail and I get heat only, no matter the position of the dials. Any help would be appreciated. No check engine light associated with either.

#14 ·
On occasion after start the transmission will not shift out of low. If I shut it off and start it again, it works as intended. A second problem is that the temperature selector for the climate control seems to fail and I get heat only, no matter the position of the dials. Any help would be appreciated. No check engine light associated with either.
If the vehicle is cold it delays shifting to heat up the car faster. Catalytic converters have to be warm to work so they do it for emission reasons.

It's likely the heater valve under the hood that has failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.