Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I know this is the SLK forum but I figured it'd be a good starting point.

So my car has racked up 17 faults:
1) Left window doesn't always go down when the door opens.
2) Drivers side, passenger window switch 1st touch doesn't work.*
3) The smell that made my 4year old nephew puke when my car has been in sport and not even thrashed. Stand by one of the intakes after its been driven.*
4) Brake pedal sticks. What kind of poorly maintained, luxury car has a brake pedal that doesn't come back up and the brakes stay activated?!
5) It's been through 3x headlights. How can a car burn so many bulbs?*
6) Hill hold intermittent. The green hold light flashes instead of staying on.*
7) Electric parking brake fault. The fault occurs weekly with the red e brake light flashing.*
8) PCM bluetooth in and out. Calls drop in and out. Tried different phones problem persists.
9) Horn sticking. Yes, the horn sticks when pressed.
10) Ignition. When you turn the key nothing happens 50% of the time.*
11) Parking sensors. The detect things are there when nothing us. Must be my ghost coming back to haunt the car because the car is adamant on killing me.*
12) Spoiler jamming. How pathetic?*
13) Windscreen chip and front bumper fin chip.*
14) Interior passenger panel.
15) Headlamp fogging. A seal must've failed around the headlight because in the wet the headlights fog up and distorts the headlights (which are usually blown anyway so no worries apparently.)*
16) Vibration in clutch when depressed. Had 4 manuals none of them did that.
17) Heated seats automatically shutting of after 5-15 mins. Yup, they just turn themselves off after 5 to 15 minutes.*

When I negotiated the car deal, there was a panel that was covered in scratches that the sales and business manager promised was repaired, but they didn't, and I let it slide but I raised it again for replacement. I sent a very stern note saying that they had outright lied enclosing the above list.

The car was recovered this morning and I followed it in a courtesy car (530d not bad but prematurely ageing me by 20 years)

When I got to the dealership the service team were nice. They were working on the car at the expense of other cars which was a plus.

On the other hand, the service manager got his chest out and said "YOU CALLED ME A LIAR. THEY TOLD ME THE PANEL WAS FIXED I DON'T HAVE TIME TO CHECK A Friggin' PANEL" red in the face, trying to be intimidating lol
I said, well if "it's too difficult I'll give Stuttgart a ring and see how that Pans out" and he changed subjects.

So my question is, what are my rights? What should I do in this situation? Should I seek legal help, should I contact Stuttgart?

The UK boxster community is practically non existent. Any help or advice would be grateful.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,821 Posts
I moved your thread out of general discussion as that is for slk only discussion

I am sure there are other porsche forums to consult? :D

Get an SLK? :D

·
Super Moderator
24,183 Posts
Giving them a chance to repair might have changed your possibilities.

After that outburst you faced, I wouldn't just be contacting Stuttgart, I'd be in touch with EVERY head (Porsche itself, euro and uk manager, customer relations.). Unwarranted.

You can get a free 30 min consultation with a solicitor, make use of it.

All marques have issues, but that list on a 2014 high end car is unbelievable.
I'd be surprised if head office was not shocked by both the car and your treatment.

Hope it works out for you.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts

After that outburst you faced, I wouldn't just be contacting Stuttgart, I'd be in touch with EVERY head (Porsche itself, euro and uk manager, customer relations.). Unwarranted.

I'd be surprised if head office was not shocked by both the car and your treatment.

I would second this move/maneuver. I would get the regional, and national customer relations involved. Escalate to head office in Germany if needed.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I would second this move/maneuver. I would get the regional, and national customer relations involved. Escalate to head office in Germany if needed.

Thank you both. Ive now written to MD UK.
I will pick off all major heads over the course of next week.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Have you tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in and switching on. Failing that a gallon of petrol; and a box of matches.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have a Carfax or equivalent history for the car? There are so many electrical/electromechanical problems I wonder if it was submerged at some point, or otherwise abused.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a Carfax or equivalent history for the car? There are so many electrical/electromechanical problems I wonder if it was submerged at some point, or otherwise abused.
Hi!
No I don't have a conclusive history of the car. I'm not quite sure how to obtain this in the UK? I may have to ask the dealer.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
If it has been serviced and maintained by Porsche dealers, any of them should be able to print out the history.

When it comes to pre-existing defects, the only way for those to be sorted before you take delivery, is to refuse to accept the car in the first place until it's right. They rely on the new owner chomping at the bit to drive away in their new squeeze. All the sales guy wants is to get you to sign on the dotted line and drive away. The second you're gone, his attention is focused on the next poor sap browsing the lot.

Good luck.

BTW I didn't know Porsche QA was so poor...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Looks like I had a recent lucky escape from the Boxster world.......mind I'm yet to see how the new Lotus Elise S performs!!!

On a serious note however I'd contact Porsche UK if you're unhappy, mind if you need cheering up search on You Tube for an Aussie who's had a number of years of various issues with his 911.

RR

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like I had a recent lucky escape from the Boxster world.......mind I'm yet to see how the new Lotus Elise S performs!!!

On a serious note however I'd contact Porsche UK if you're unhappy, mind if you need cheering up search on You Tube for an Aussie who's had a number of years of various issues with his 911.

RR

Hahaha congrats on the new Lotus buddy!

His name is Nick Murray and his videos are fantastic! He had similar faults to me too. I've written to PUK and they are giving me the "we got you whenever you need us" approach, which is perfect. Now i'm gunning the dealer, letting PUK know what i'm doing in advance and they are supportive.

The car is due back Thursday.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
I found these services where you can get the vehicle history.

https://hpicheck.com/

Vehicle Check | Check a car?s history on Auto Trader UK

These sites won't give you the whole picture - they'll tell you if the car has been written off, had its colour/number plate changed or if there is finance owing. that won't give you much detail on the condition of the car.

On the V5 you should have the details of the previous keeper(s). Any chance you could contact them and ask why they swapped the car in?

I'd have thought your best bet though is to stick with talking to PUK - being polite but firm - and documenting their responses. You can always go public later on if they don't behave professionally with the car.

Good luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey M!

The car is due back today and PUK are doing a good job in getting me the package in keeping the car as we spoke about yday but you're right yes a detailed history will be coming from PUK later on today!
Hope you business card'd all those SLK'S down Marylebone ways on the way back yday hahahahaha!

·
Super Moderator
24,183 Posts
Fingers crossed.

There are good garages out there that get spoiled by one inappropriate mech/manager.

Having PUK onside looks to be taking you in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I know I know this is the SLK forum but I figured it'd be a good starting point.

So my car has racked up 17 faults:
1) Left window doesn't always go down when the door opens.
2) Drivers side, passenger window switch 1st touch doesn't work.*
3) The smell that made my 4year old nephew puke when my car has been in sport and not even thrashed. Stand by one of the intakes after its been driven.*
4) Brake pedal sticks. What kind of poorly maintained, luxury car has a brake pedal that doesn't come back up and the brakes stay activated?!
5) It's been through 3x headlights. How can a car burn so many bulbs?*
6) Hill hold intermittent. The green hold light flashes instead of staying on.*
7) Electric parking brake fault. The fault occurs weekly with the red e brake light flashing.*
8) PCM bluetooth in and out. Calls drop in and out. Tried different phones problem persists.
9) Horn sticking. Yes, the horn sticks when pressed.
10) Ignition. When you turn the key nothing happens 50% of the time.*
11) Parking sensors. The detect things are there when nothing us. Must be my ghost coming back to haunt the car because the car is adamant on killing me.*
12) Spoiler jamming. How pathetic?*
13) Windscreen chip and front bumper fin chip.*
14) Interior passenger panel.
15) Headlamp fogging. A seal must've failed around the headlight because in the wet the headlights fog up and distorts the headlights (which are usually blown anyway so no worries apparently.)*
16) Vibration in clutch when depressed. Had 4 manuals none of them did that.
17) Heated seats automatically shutting of after 5-15 mins. Yup, they just turn themselves off after 5 to 15 minutes.*

That was my first thought as well, given the nature of the problems. I'd see if there's a way to find out if the car's been flood damaged and, if so, whether there was any required disclosure and/or is any legal recourse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts