Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im new!
im kinda in limbo as to whether or not to buy the SLK or CLK.
Options also included a bmw 5 or3 series (But just about very asia has one - my parents are sri lanka, but im born in the uk ) :):eek:fftopic:

Although i have no intention to buy it just yet :)R)
I basically a med student, and IF i finish my course (touch wood) i get a car!

In terms of car history this would be my "first car" , never really need a car, because my parents have always had a few lying around!

please dont think im brat etc.... :mad:

Also does anybody know where i can get some engine noises ?:rb

Anyway, till that day arrives, HELLOOoooooooooo:tazz:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Welcome, If you are askin this bunch for their opinion, you can expect 99.5% SLK. As Cruzer stated, its personal and dependant upon need. The SLK is a great fun car for two, anything else, not very practical. Best wishes in your studies and car decision.:):)

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
It depends on what are you looking for and do you need the extra two rear seats of the CLK?

I highly suggest you to get everycar you consider a test drive, to get an impression of how they feel interms of driving and comfort.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had a CLK and now I have a SLK. Do list out your criteria and expectation and I will be able to tell you my view~

Welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
first things first...welcome...

as all others have said, it's a personal choice based on personal likes and needs. if you don't need a backseat and seating for more than two, you can't beat the slk.

good luck in your studies. :D

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
too much of a personal choice. CLK is an awesome car, especially with the fold down rear seats, it swallows a LOT of toys (snowboards, skis, hiking, camping...) I've even laid down the seats and slept there before.

The handling is a LOT smoother than the SLK, and is more evenly balanced when driven near limit, Though SLK feels a little less balanced, it's lower overall weight gives it a serious edge AT the limit, and top down enjoyment far surpasses the CLK cabriolet. between the SLK and CLK, it depends on your lifestyle, you'd be surprised how often some rear seats would help even when you only expected to use 2 seats (though Vince can fit 2 girls in the SLK's passenger seat).

In the end i guess car choice comes down to your lifestyle, and how often you will have access 'bigger' cars.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Had the same decision over two years ago, I wanted a CLK cabriolet, I like everything about it except for the auto trans. The interior is nice the overall look is very classy, but my salesperson told me to wait for the new SLK, it's much sportier, hardtop, faster, and comes standard in manual transmission, I waited and login forums, did my research, and finally put a deposit on it. No regrets, I love everything about it, now the CLK looks too conservative to me, still a great looking car. So if you have an extra car with space, SLK all the way.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome peacemf. You should be able to finish med school. Just study HARD! :biglaugh:

Someone told me that a softtop over time will start smelling, they're expensive to replace, fabric falls apart over time, and that's why I got the hard top. Do you plan to normally have 2 passengers or 4?

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
So if you have an extra car with space, SLK all the way.
:tu:If you have, or have access to a larger car when needed, that would make your decision easier. It would be interesting to know, those with a SLK, if it's their only car and what problems or limitations they encounter. My wife and I have other cars. She drives hers daily, I don't. Good luck in your decision and continued good luck with school. Welcome to SLKWorld, hope to see you here soon with new pics of you 200X SLK (R17X).

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Hello from N.Ireland

i'll go out on a limb here.............. SLK all the way.
I assume your a young guy as your still a student. I also finished my studies last year and i instantly chose the slk. a great car for a young person, as it's sporty and has a great element of class with it. plus the girls love them!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hello from N.Ireland

I assume your a young guy as your still a student. I also finished my studies last year and i instantly chose the slk. a great car for a young person, as it's sporty and has a great element of class with it. plus the girls love them!
The most important factor is in the last sentence~~~ LOL~

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hello from N.Ireland

AMEN to that!!!:Beer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.