Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I am joining the forum to learn more about SLK's as help for my 84 year old Father-In-Law, who just picked up a slightly used silver 2009 SLK350 with auto. He had always wanted to get an SL "some day" and I was helping him look for one. At one point I said something about the SL being a symbol of excess (hey, I don't begrudge anyone, it just kinda slipped out) and he took it to heart, settling on an SLK and buying one suddenly.

The first day I saw it, I drove it and thought it was pretty quick and handles well at least 8/10ths. However, on the freeway I noticed that the rear seems to "hop" at higher speeds over uneven spots. I didn't mention this, as he already bought the car and I didn't want to be a downer. Now, I heard he's noticed the freeway ride and I hear he's not happy with it. To be of service, I thought it would be good to tap into the knowledgebase of the SLK fans to see if someone knows what I'm talking about and might have some suggestions for tuners or aftermarket parts to resolve it. Frankly, "de-sporting" the car a bit would probably do it.

Let me know what you think.

Happy Veteran's Day :usa:

Norcal

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,349 Posts
Norcal,

Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan....

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,945 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you post the VIN, someone will post a full data-card for the car, which will show all the options (sports pack, wheels, etc). It might help also if you posted a picture of the car.

In general the freeway bumpiness is part of the sporty ride, and if you have 18" or 19" wheels on the car, it might help to go back to a 17". Or if it has the sports pack, maybe adjusting the suspension back to non-sports would do the trick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts