Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the SLK community. Names Nick.

I'm planning on purchasing either an 08 SLK 280 or 350. Joining the forums would allow me to learn more about the SLK and what modifications are available to them. I'm a BMW guy, so turning over to Mercedes is a little different. I know there is a lot to learn!

Hope to talk with you guys soon, I have a lot of questions. Looks like a great site from what i've seen so far!

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Welcome, and welcome to the "dark" side! The R171's are great cars, and personally I think the looks are simply stunning.

Coming from BMW's, the real thing to keep in mind is that you need to buy the level of performance you want up front - the after-market options are much more limited than they are for BMW's.

Most of the mods that I've done to mine are purely convenience and looks. SmartTop is a "must have" in my book. Second on the list was replacing the yellow side markers with clear lens and sliver bulbs. I also added a Denison Gateway 500 to mine for iPod integration.

The only performance related mod I've done was to replace the OEM air filters with Green Filters.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Welcome nbarcelo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,122 Posts
Welcome to another Floridian! Read and read and you will enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and kudos to switching to the "better" car! Just kidding, neither is necessarily "better", but I do prefer the aesthetics of the mercedes lines to the bmw lines of comparable classes. Are you buying a used '08? Cause honestly if you're gonna buy a new 2008 with dealer incentive and you end up getting the 350, I would highly suggest the 2009. If you're getting a 280 it really doesn't make much difference other than the cosmetics of the front bumper and the integrated ipod support in 2009. However, the 350 received higher BHP and better fuel ecconomy for '09. I'd pay a 2000 or 3000 price difference easily when comparing the 08 to the 09 SLK 350 simply for the stock performance increase. To each his own, but rest assured whichever SLK you get, you will love it!

·
Registered
349 Posts
welcome Nick and Mike!

I too came from the BMW world. For 10 years, I have enjoyed the 325i convertible until little things start to get away, AC, Stereo, display, lights, suspension...etc Then changed to the SLK350, and now the SLK55 with absouotely no regrets. Whatever model you end up with, you will love it!:tu:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts