Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I have come here for advice or help. I have a 1999 SLK 230 Kompressor that I bought last year. It only had 13,000 miles on it as it had been garaged.

The other day the air conditioner had issues requiring a new compressor. I purchased a part, left it in the car over the weekend, using a spare key. When the mechanic looked at he car on Monday, the battery was almost dead and the alarm went off when he tried to open the door with the original key. He called me and I brought him the spare key to use.

Anyway, the part was put in--no problem, but my car is messed up. I have tried to reset the original key, but it won't lock or unlock the car and the windows, wipers and turn signals will not work until around five minutes after the car has been driven at which time the doors will lock automatically. It is driving me crazy.

Thanks for any help.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,458 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your questions in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response.Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
97,458 Posts
have you pulled the battery?

·
97,458 Posts
after you pull the battery, u will have to reset the windows and possibly the radio code

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I haven't tried that. The mechanic put a battery charger on it after the battery was drained when the spare key was used, but it was not disconnected. How would you reset the windows? I find it so strange that everything works after a few minutes of driving. I thought maybe I had activated some sort of anti-theft system, but the key is not locking and unlocking the car from the outside either.

·
97,458 Posts
pulling the battery will reset a bunch of things. others will chime in soon. you reset the windows by holding the switch in the up position for a few seconds. do a search for that procedure

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan.... Good luck on your search - Great info provided on this forum....

·
Registered
843 Posts
Welcome from southern california. Good luck with your trouble shooting and repair. Besides pulling the battery, you could check on your PSE pump and electronics in your trunk. Moisture can mess things up and give locking and alarm problems on R170s. A forum search of "PSE pump" or possibly just "PSE" should get you to some helpful posts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have tried three different ways of reformatting the key remote. After one such try the key fob was able to lock and unlock, and everything else worked until I turned off the car and tried it the next morning.

I just wish I had not used a different key to open the car. Everyithing seems to date from that.

Thanks, again.

Oh, one other quick question. Did anyone have to replace parts of their interior because the paint peeled off? On my first 1998 SLK 230 the oyster color on the middle section scratched off. On my current car, the interior is all black and the same thing is happening, but isn't as noticeable since the underlying color is black.

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
When you reformat the fob first get in the car and close the door. Put the key in pos.#2, press the lock button on the fob then do the same for the unlock button. Turn the key and remove it. Before you open the door try both buttons they should work. This is how i did mine with no problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When you reformat the fob first get in the car and close the door. Put the key in pos.#2, press the lock button on the fob then do the same for the unlock button. Turn the key and remove it. Before you open the door try both buttons they should work. This is how i did mine with no problems.

Tried it--still no luck. Everything started working yesterday afternoon. This morning everything was working, but the windows. Drove to work and parked it, and then had to run an errand. Got in the car and nothing was working again. The driver's window is down and it is getting a little nippy here in Missouri.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all for your warm welcome. Just wanted to report that I took the car to an out-of-town Mercedes dealership for a diagnostic test. The mechanic erased the codes to give the car a clean slate and determined that I need a new multi-function control unit ($1,400) with a $1,656 total with their installation. Not good news.

The mechanic said to think about it so I drove the car home. Immediately I noticed that the car locked after about 10 to 15 seconds and the windows started working at that point. The turn signals and wipers worked when I first got into the car. Is it possible that the erasing of the codes reset something? I can live with the windows opening after the car goes into lock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Welcome from southern california. Good luck with your trouble shooting and repair. Besides pulling the battery, you could check on your PSE pump and electronics in your trunk. Moisture can mess things up and give locking and alarm problems on R170s. A forum search of "PSE pump" or possibly just "PSE" should get you to some helpful posts.

When I took the car to the dealership today that was the first thing the mechanic looked at. I even found out that I have jumper cables!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Right side turn signals not working(front, back and side). Relay clicks like crazy. Left side work fine. Hazards all work fine. Checked black tun signal box and notice only one relay works both right and left turn signals. The relay clicks normal for the left side but clicks double the speed for the right side. The bulbs are fine as the H/lts work fine. Is there a fuse for the right side turn signals and where is it located?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts