Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a 1999 SLK230 and I am the second owner of the vehicle.

The radio is equipped to handle an "Optional factory cell phone". But the car's original owner never took advantage of this feature.

I wish to run my current (non-Mercedes) cell phone thru the alpha-numeric keypad that is part of my radio/tape player.

How can this be accomplished??

Thanks in advance for your help.

This system is like mine. You can see the telephone button in the lower left corner. I would like to know how to use it with my non-Mercedes cell phone.

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,735 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
92,735 Posts
I don't believe it can be made functional. the r170 experts will chime in.

·
92,735 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I can't view leapy's helpful links. I hope my interface with this site can improve without the flaming hoops.

·
92,735 Posts
what happens when you click on his links?

·
92,735 Posts

·
92,735 Posts

·
92,735 Posts

·
92,735 Posts
this is how you accomplish that quickly:

If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
this is how you accomplish that quickly:

Just do this; Welcome from Indy(well, not Indy, but you get the idea ;))!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,889 Posts
Hi SLKGAL, a warm welcome from Southern Arizona. Congratulations on your new car and best of luck with your radion/cell phone questions. Enjoy the people, the forum, and top down cruisin'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanx jazz. For Leapy. This is a quote straight from the manual I'm holding in my hands.

"Various functions of the Mercedes-Benz integrated cellular telephone can be performed and displayed via the car radio. Further instructions for operating the car telephone can be found in the Operations Guide for the cellular telephone."

The car came equipped with phone capability integrated with the audio system. It appears it works with a factory supplied phone and I'm trying to use a non-factory phone with this system.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Thanx jazz. For Leapy. This is a quote straight from the manual I'm holding in my hands.

"Various functions of the Mercedes-Benz integrated cellular telephone can be performed and displayed via the car radio. Further instructions for operating the car telephone can be found in the Operations Guide for the cellular telephone."

The car came equipped with phone capability integrated with the audio system. It appears it works with a factory supplied phone and I'm trying to use a non-factory phone with this system.
I think it's no longer possible... =( I tried with iPhone and Android and it just didn't work! It seems that this thing is proprietary. It's like you can't send files via Bluetooth from Android to iPhone and vice versa. It's just incompatibility. May be some old school phone will work =) But I doubt.
Seems like outdated Bluetooth proprietary standard. I read a lot about synching phones with Mercedes Radio and 99.9% are unsuccessful =) I would recommend not bothering with it since I'm pretty sure you'll be among these 99.9% Just get yourself a nice aftermarket radio with Bluetooth and mic and you'll be ok! If you want plug and play then pick some latest Blaupunkt and you'll just swap your unit and be modern man! They run for about $120-$150 so not that expensive for an upgrade =)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I recently bought a 1999 SLK230 and I am the second owner of the vehicle.

The radio is equipped to handle an "Optional factory cell phone". But the car's original owner never took advantage of this feature.

I wish to run my current (non-Mercedes) cell phone thru the alpha-numeric keypad that is part of my radio/tape player.

How can this be accomplished??

Thanks in advance for your help.

This system is like mine. You can see the telephone button in the lower left corner. I would like to know how to use it with my non-Mercedes cell phone.
The general answer is no. The OEM system as installed in the car is set up for analog cell service which is no longer covered (or only in a limited fashion); and many of the components are hooked up on a fibre optic network which make it difficult to find plug in components. I have spoken with MB and the mostly likely solution they proposed is to add a Blue Tooth node to the car. This would allow you to utilize some of your smart phone functions in the car, but I would doubt that it would allow the OEM head unit to "control" you cell in any fashion.

In speaking with MB, the only answer I was seemingly hearing was to practically rewire the vehicle, which would be very pricey. At this point I would say the better solution is to give up on MB and buy a more fully functioned, less costly aftermarket head unit. You would get more functionality with a little less integration into the vehicle's existing systems.

There are several threads on replacing the head unit about a year ago. I put in a Sony BT3900u which I am quite pleased with though I'm still looking at some other alternatives. (I usually only do very limited phoning from the car.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts