Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Forum yet I've had my 2003 SLK320 since 2003. It has 45,000 miles on it and it has developed an ignition switch problem. The ignition key, from time to time, proves very hard to turn to start the car. Sometimes if I turn the steering wheel so that it locks, I can push hard trying to turn the steering wheel and it may suddenly release and , simoultaneously,I can turn the key and it starts. The dealer has replaced the ignition switch but I still run into this problem so I'm looking for some advice.
Thanks
JAFCO

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,648 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model and year.
Usercp at the top of page, edit your details, location/vehicle.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Sergeant-at Arms

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan..... Hope you get your problem resolved!!!

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Welcome from Los Angeles.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
Welcome from Eugene, Oregon via Port Huron, Michigan!
It appears to me that you have a problem with the interlock, not the ignition mechanism.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome from Eugene, Oregon via Port Huron, Michigan!
It appears to me that you have a problem with the interlock, not the ignition mechanism.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was away.
Can you explain what the interlock is?
JAFCO

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
Greetings from Tennessee ! There are some great roads for an SLK in Connecticut. I've traveled all around you, Stanfod, Cheshire, & Norwalk - My company Olin used to be based there - ever heard of it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ignition Lock problem

Hi, I too have that problem. It seems to be quite common with our cars. The first step is to replace the tumblers (did you get a new key). If that doesn't work, then the repair is a bit more costly, as you may have to replace the steering wheel locking mechanism. The tumbler should have cost about $120 for the part and maybe an hour labour. Is that what they did? Also, I have been told that not all dealers have the correct tools to do that job. It is aparently a special tool for the SLK. I hope this helps. I have a 2003 SLK32 AMG that is super Sweet! I have found this forum very helpful. Last year, the intercooler in my supercharger failed. The dealer tried 4 times to fix it, but kept telling me nothing was wrong (after a $500-1000 invoice). Then, I found advise on this forum and located the problem. $400 later, the power was restored. Of course the dealer said all the other work would have been needed anyway. That is why they call them stealerships!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi there Lorivo from JAFCO

May 28, 2011
2003 SLK32o

Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes, the dealer has replaced the tumbler. The part cost was US$98 and the labor was for one hour which they charged $106.50. My dealer normally charges $145 per hour but in order to attract customers with older cars, the set the labor charge for 2003 or earlier at the $106.50.
The fix didn't work. It still "hangs up" from time to time. It sounds like yours did work. Did it?
My indie repair guy had never come across it before so went to the dealer. Norwalk,CT is about 1 hours drive northeast up the coast from NY city so the dealers around here have very big shops and they have all kinds of tools. If you had the wheel lock done, let me know what they charged you.
I'm taking the car into the dealer again on Tuesday at which time I'm sure they will look at it and suggest the wheel lock be done. We shall see what happens.
I will keep all on this thread posted to the further adventures of JAFCO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts