Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just signed up. Bought a 1998 SLK230 a few days ago with 84k miles, no rust, good interior (but for the usual vinyl peeling) and excellent body. Also have a 1995 E320 Estate Wagon for bad weather - we've been known to have that around here.

Issues with the SLK: CEL first threw codes P0410 and P0803 (latter is only for manual trannies, shrug). I reset the PCM using the battery disconnect method. CEL is on again, but both of the original codes are gone (and my flashers are working properly again) but now throwing P0805. Sigh.

Old Mercedes are a never-ending adventure. Lots of good help and advice here for my SLK, though. Since it's now the latest love of my life.

Glad to be here! :smile:

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,738 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable or to ‘edit’, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM/edit. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator
9,941 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com from Northern
California

:burnout::Beer:

List of Useful SLK Links >https://slk-links.neocities.org/Links.html

PARTS Information on Mercedes SLK R170 R171 R172 >https://slklinks.neocities.org/

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html
<---------------------

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favourite.
Here's the main thread:
<---------------------

ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes
Benz SLK Forum

·
Premium Member
11,022 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Super Moderator
10,932 Posts
Welcome from Canada :smile:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Datacard?

Still not entirely clear on what a datacard actually is, but apparently if I post my VIN in the thread of my introduction post, somebody will help me out. So, here: WDBKK47F7WF040889

Is that all I need to do?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Still not entirely clear on what a datacard actually is, but apparently if I post my VIN in the thread of my introduction post, somebody will help me out. So, here: WDBKK47F7WF040889

Is that all I need to do?

Thanks.
Welcome from Mersea Island, Essex, UK. There is a specific Datacard request thread so that it is seen and actioned, but as I have seen your request here no problem and here is your Datacard. The Datacard gives information regarding what came with the car when built. However, for the early SLK's the information is limited.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much!

I am really interested in nailing down the correct color for use in repainting the peeling vinyl. I already found that my interior leather appears to be 225A "Leather Quartz." Would this be the same color as the vinyl on the dash, console, arm rests, etc., all of which are scuffed and peeling significantly?

This Volico color seems to be pretty close to what I've got: VLC-COLOR Leather & interior paint (150 ml) Mercedes Quartz (quarz & sand) | VOLICO.de - von Liebenstein Consulting | Your contact partner for leather and interior paints for Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche

It's expensive enough that I want to be sure before ordering.

Thanks again for your fast response and help already given!

·
92,738 Posts
As mentioned above :D

Paint code 1: 744 DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010
Equipment: 225A LEATHER QUARTZ

What's a datacard?
It is the 'window or windshield' sticker that comes on new vehicles (USA models)(All countries can get them here). It shows the option codes and the name of the options included in/on the car when purchased.

Early model R170s (1996-2000) have very little data in their datacards and some of the info might be erroneous like saying you have a 'DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010' which we know is wrong

·
92,738 Posts
That's another thing. Soft top? AFAIK, mine has a retracting hard top. Or is that just Mercedes terminology?
no...as mentioned above :D

Early model R170s (1996-2000) have very little data in their datacards and some of the info might be erroneous like saying you have a 'DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010' which we know is wrong

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As mentioned above :D

Paint code 1: 744 DARK BLUE SOFT TOP FABRIC 5010
Equipment: 225A LEATHER QUARTZ

What's a datacard?
It is the 'window or windshield' sticker that comes on new vehicles (USA models)(All countries can get them here). It shows the option codes and the name of the options included in/on the car when purchased.

Oops, my apologies. I posted before reading you all the way through. I'll be more careful in the future.

·
92,738 Posts
Story of my life my friend...story of my life :D

·
92,738 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,115 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.
We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favourite.
Here's the main thread:
ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Entry is now open to vote for July.
http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/453178-vote-here-july-2017-slkworld-com-ride-month.html

Really useful links (thanks to ixions cataloguing)
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/354330-links-toparts-assemblies-technical-data-locations-parts-slks.html

A brief guide to the forum and how to get the best from it:
http://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/439993-new-wondering-what-do.html

Indiana threads:
U.S. Midwest Region - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

1 - 20 of 28 Posts