Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hello from Athens Greece and welcome to the Encyclopedia Of SLK.
Do post some pics of your camper!
Such an iconic vehicle!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
11,254 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

We have quite a few members in the UK that like to meet up from time to time. If you're interested in joining us sometime, just keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post meeting plans there! :tu:

There's a summary post that I maintain for all UK meets here, and links to examples and pictures from this year's past meets are available here.

We've also started plotting where our UK members are recently - check out the thread for that here: SLKWorld UK & Ireland Members and Meeting Points Map

Some great R171 info, including Owner’s/Maintenance/COMAND manuals, etc.:
Don’t forget to lube those seals:
Download your car’s brochure:
Mods you should think about doing to your SLK:
Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
  • Post your VIN (or VIN of a car you're looking at) in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on the car).
    FREE!! How to get a free data card!
  • If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
  • If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
  • Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If iPhone/iPad pics, you can only attach 1 pic per post this way as iOS names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
  • Want to 'like' or 'thank' someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any individual’s post that you like. This saves you having to comment.
  • New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link in the info bar towards the top of the screen is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
  • Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum
Thank you
Dave

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave. Perhaps late I the year for a meet with us get on the way, but sounds good. I have looked at some mods, Smart Top looks good, if a little complicated to install! I will check the others out. My car seems well spec'ed, so will check how it drives and feels initially. There are a few jobs that need doing in the 1st place.....

* The Comand sat have has not been updated for at least 4 years. Unsure if it is possible to see what version it operates but need to work out if it is worth paying a main dealer to update it buy an update CD from somewhere.

* 3 tyres have had it. 1 new Falken tyre on the rear but the others need replacing. Any thoughts on Falken tyres for the others or more suggestions?

* The 18'' wheels are all scuffed through kerbing, so need repair and renovating. Are there any national companies or local to London that can be recommended?

* There are a handful of stone chips on the front and 2 tiny shallow scratches, each about 20mm long. I was thinking about contacting 'Chips Away' to address these. Any other ideas?

Otherwise I need to get it washed, polished and waxed!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
25,404 Posts
Welcome from the Wirral.

VW and SLK? Greedy some say.

Wise and lucky I say.

SLK has not got quite the VW following. But it hasn't got the VW price tags either.

You can't help but throw an admiring look when either passes.

Enjoy the new car. With luck were in for an Indian summer.

SmartTop doesn't have to be self fitted and as you're London I think you'll find an installer by you.
The mods4cars website will direct you the right way.

Treating all of the roof seals/mechanics is something to be done sooner, rather than later.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
11,254 Posts
Thanks Dave. Perhaps late I the year for a meet with us get on the way, but sounds good. I have looked at some mods, Smart Top looks good, if a little complicated to install! I will check the others out. My car seems well spec'ed, so will check how it drives and feels initially. There are a few jobs that need doing in the 1st place.....

* The Comand sat have has not been updated for at least 4 years. Unsure if it is possible to see what version it operates but need to work out if it is worth paying a main dealer to update it buy an update CD from somewhere.

* 3 tyres have had it. 1 new Falken tyre on the rear but the others need replacing. Any thoughts on Falken tyres for the others or more suggestions?

* The 18'' wheels are all scuffed through kerbing, so need repair and renovating. Are there any national companies or local to London that can be recommended?

* There are a handful of stone chips on the front and 2 tiny shallow scratches, each about 20mm long. I was thinking about contacting 'Chips Away' to address these. Any other ideas?

Yes, it's getting late in the year now, and we don't have as many meets planned as we do during the 'summer' (ish) months, but there will be at least a couple of others added before the end of the year now too.

Re the Comand, I'm sure it is possible to check versions, but I can't remember how. Try searching the site (I'm remote and only on mobile this weekend), and you might find out how... or perhaps another member will be along to point you in the right direction with it soon.

I've never seen anything written about Falken tyres, so I don't have a view. I have Pirelli P-Zeros on mine, and I'm happy with them, although there are others that members speak highly of (I can't remember which, but the question does get asked periodically in the Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension section of the site, so perhaps try checking for other people's viewpoints there)..

There are many wheel refurbishment people/companies out there. Personally, I only have a mediocre experience, so not willing to recommend. It might be worth making a new post in the Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension section to ask for recommendations in your area.

'Chips Away' are probably as good as any other approach to getting the chips sorted, although I think you might find advice on the forum (or YouTube) if you'd like to try DIYing them yourself.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK 55 AMG
11,306 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Good luck with your new SLK 280!

I only bought might recently, am now close to having it all up to date mechanically.

- Regards wheels and tires, I'd check the refinishing costs against the cost of obtaining refinished wheels. My car's 16" wheels were in good shape, and it had el-cheapo house brand tires on it (the usual dealer way of being able to legitimately say "good tires"). I decided I wanted new tires of a brand that I like (Continental ExtremeContact DW) but I wanted them in the optional Sport kit 17" sizing. For the UK going into winter, I'd pick the DWS model tires rather than the DW. I found a set of the AMG 17" rims from a refinisher at US$250 apiece. Best wheels I could buy at that price, and cheaper than I was quoted to refinish the one wheel that needed a paint job...!

(So far, I've had no luck advertising the 16" wheels even with a freebie take away. If you were local to me (california, usa) I'd give them to you. As it is, they're due to go to the scrap yard on Monday because I have no place to store them. Sad.)

- Regards the sound system, I've talked about mine in other threads. Trying to adapt the HK system to a modern spec I've given up on because I find it only has so-so sound anyway. So I'm ripping the whole thing out and starting fresh with good modern speaker systems, a better amp, and a new Alpine head unit. This is not an inexpensive endeavor, of course, but I find I dislike the COMAND AGW/Harmon Kardon system enough that it's worth it.

The SLK 280 is a delight to drive, in every way. :)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,122 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome from Eseex

There does not seem to be many of us in the South of England.

It's a great web site

:smile::smile:

·
Registered
50 Posts

Welcome Fronkjunior

Visit commandonline.co.uk for sat Nav update disc, I had one from them for my NTG2.5 command unit, 2 discs took about 1 1/2 hrs to update, but you may have to have the correct firmware version which command online website will tell you. Smart top worth doing , I fitted mine 2 days ago and took about an hour and is actually quite easy.

Am taking my wheels tomorrow for refurb to a company in Guildford but there are some around Hayes's/Uxbridge area... just google wheel refurb London.

Enjoy the car....I love mine,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,077 Posts
Welcome from Lakeland, Florida USA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts