Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

Well, I'm about a week into SLK ownership. Traded up from a 2006 Ford Focus 2.0 Diesel Ghia (don't forget the Ghia - that's REALLY important!) that I'd owned from new, to a 2013 SLK250 CDi AMG Auto. It's a silver one, which everyone knows is the fastest colour. We NEARLY bought a black one, but the silver one was lower mileage (9,000) a few months newer and from an MB dealer, and only slightly more expensive.

After a long time driving sensible boring cars, I fancied something a bit more exciting - a two-seater convertible was my only criteria. MX5 wasn't an option because a couple of friends already had one. Audi TT was a serious contender but was just too cramped. I've had BMW bikes for years and loved them, so a Z4 was another option. A test drive in a Z4 made me realise that was also a bit cramped - comfortable enough to sit in, but absolutely no room to wriggle around or fidget. I need to use the car for daily short commuting trips to work, weekly longer trips and - in the fullness of time - longer runs on holidays.

Took a test in an SLK and was immediately impressed. Possibly a bit softer than the Z4 and certainly more of a compromise between sports car and luxury car. But that's no bad thing. I reckon that for 5% of the time I might regret not having a lighter, 'purer' sports car, but for 95% of the time I'll appreciate having a bit more in the way of creature comforts.

Anyway, so far, I absolutely love it. It feels like a special place to be, everything feels new and I'm still impressed by the overtaking "oomph." It's a long way from the bike's acceleration (but that has a super-smooth six cylinder engine with 160 bhp for 300kg bike!) but I haven't yet found myself thinking "I wish it was quicker." It's also a bit warmer than the bikes at this time of year.

I haven't yet had the chance to drive it top down (apart from showing off to friends and family) because it's been cold and wet. The real test of desirability will come on a warm sunny day - do I reach for the SLK keys or the bike key?!

There are couple of niggles - glass roof but solid headliner (I started a new thread about this) seems ridiculous. And the radio doesn't have auto volume adjustment - something nearly all cars of this age seem to have (I drive a variety of fleet and hire cars for work), let alone supposed premium brands. The Bluetooth connectivity to phone doesn't seem to work quite as I'd expected. And the heater seems either to be on hot or cold, with the temp dial left untouched - a few minutes of heat, then a few minutes of cool air, then a blast of hot again. Not sure if this is normal for a non-climate control car?

But all in all, I love it and still find myself making excuses to go for a drive. That has to be good! And so far I'm getting the same mpg as I got in the Focus. (Sorry, Focus Ghia!)

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,911 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

Lube those seals:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/20937-spring-here~gummi-pflege-lube-your-seals-lithium-grease-your-joints-hinges.html#post226839

Your brochure:
http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/167265-mercedes-brochure-archive.html#post1511249

Free Gift!: Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
12,445 Posts
Welcome from Canada :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,845 Posts
Welcome from across the border in Surrey!

Don't wait for it to get warm. Sun's out - Top's down. It's the only way. (just wear a beanie!)
Don't wait for the sun to come out. Dry at night? Top's down. It's the only OTHER way. :grin:

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,092 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

We have a free to enter monthly competition.
Entry is open from the 1st to the 15th of every month. You simply post a reply with 3 photos.
After the 15th we usually open a poll for members to vote on their favourite.
Here's the main thread:
ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

This month's entries:
http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/412769-february-2017-slkworld-com-ride-month-competition.html

There are meeting in Kent.
Here's a brief taste of the UK scene:
http://www.slkworld.com/united-kingdom-region/411649-2017-new-uk-members-spring-edition.html

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
Hi and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us and posting an intro! :)

We have quite a few members in the UK that like to meet up from time to time. If you're interested in joining us sometime (there's a Kent meet on 11 June), just keep an eye on the UK Region section, as we post meeting plans there! :tu:

There is a summary post that I maintain for our UK meets ( here ). Links to examples and pictures from last year's meets are available here. We're a friendly group, and always happy to welcome new members at any of our meets.

Finally, we also recently started plotting where our UK members are - check out the thread for that here: SLKWorld UK & Ireland Members and Meeting Points Map

Thank you
Dave

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,473 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to you all for the welcome.

The Kent meet in June unfortunately clashes with holiday plans - I'll be in sunny Spain.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,092 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts