Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here. My wife and I just retired from Colorado to Henderson. Been avid Corvette owners for the past many, many years. Time to try something new and just love the SLK. :grin: We haven't purchased yet but are looking for a very nice used low mileage 250 or 350. Thinking 2012 or newer. Sales tax in Nevada is 8.1%. If I buy used from a private party, I wouldn't have to pay the tax. Not seeing many cars in this area so have broadened our search. Trying to educate myself on the SLK. I do have a few questions. I appreciate your time. An early thank you for your responses.
1. I've driven the 250. Like the car but wondering if the 350 would be a better choice. My concern would be the turbo in the 250. Are there any mechanical issues with the turbo I should be concerned about? Is the 350 a better way to go?
2. Any issues in the 2012 thru 2014 cars that I need to know about before proceeding?
3. I've seen a lot of lease return cars on private used car lots rather than being on Mercedes lots. Are these cars non certifiable so Mercedes doesn't want them on there lots for sale? Seems strange to see so many low mileage used cars on mom and pop lots.
4. MPG---I believe the 250 is rated at 33 hwy and the 350 is rated 29 hwy. Are these ratings pretty accurate. I realize driving habits make a huge difference.
Again thanks. If you can think of anything else I need to know, the info would be appreciated.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,233 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,296 Posts
How did the 250 feel to you? If you're accustomed to Corvettes, it would be hard to lower your "acceleration/exhilaration" expectations. You need to test drive both the 350 and SLK55. The mpg mileage is pretty accurate in general. Fun driving will obviously diminish it, but not too much more than you would expect.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
11,984 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your search. Prior to buying my SLK I owned a 2006 Porsche 911 Cabriolet and just prior to the Porsche three Corvettes consecutively. I had no problem converting to my 300 from any of those cars. The SLK has plenty of power for me :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did the 250 feel to you? If you're accustomed to Corvettes, it would be hard to lower your "acceleration/exhilaration" expectations. You need to test drive both the 350 and SLK55. The mpg mileage is pretty accurate in general. Fun driving will obviously diminish it, but not too much more than you would expect.
The 250 felt pretty good. A little slow on the initial throttle response, but once the turbo kicked in it felt good. Thinking the 350 would be a little smoother in the acceleration department. I would love to check out the SLK55 but trying to keep the costs down. Thanks for the reply......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome and good luck with your search. Prior to buying my SLK I owned a 2006 Porsche 911 Cabriolet and just prior to the Porsche three Corvettes consecutively. I had no problem converting to my 300 from any of those cars. The SLK has plenty of power for me :)

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking the same thing. The SLK 250 seemed to have plenty of power and so much fun to drive. The one I drove was in sport mode so I think it was a little jumpy shifting and the turbo lag was probably more pronounced. I thought the turbo could be an issue with the car, but the research I have done has turned up nothing. I have never owned a turbo charged car and am just a little hesitant. That being said, I think the SLK 250 would be a fantastic car for us. Still searching for a used one. If a nice SLK 250 comes up before a 350, I will pull the trigger on that car.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Welcome from Hillsboro, Oregon! The mileage figures are pretty accurate, but definitely lowball if you are tooling around at normal highway speeds on cruise control. We just finished a 2700+ mile road trip in our '06 SLK280 stick-shift car and the trip average was 32.8 mpg; brochure says to expect 27. Outside of cities and on long highway runs we typically saw over 34mpg and our best was 36.7. A newer 250 turbo ought to do at least as well.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi from a fellow newbie in Nottingham Uk.
My car's a little older than what you're looking at but lovely and smooth with plenty of power to put a smile on my face every time I climb on board >:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks everyone for the welcomes. Really looking forward to the SLK experience and learning as much as I can on this forum. I stopped at the local dealership today. They have several new ones on the lot. What a great looking car. The fit, finish and all around quality is definitely a big jump from the Corvette world I am accustomed to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts