Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening folks, last week i bought myself a 1999 slk 230 for £1550

i bought it as a replacement for my toyota mr2 v6 project as ive just bought a house with the girlfriend and between that and other stuff ive got on i needed to free up some time so the mr2 has been broken for spares and im keeping the slk for the foreseeable future as my fun car.

first impressions are positive albeit there are a few niggles and changes i want to make, i find compared to my mr2 there is alot of body roll so im going to look into fitting a rear anti roll bar from searching i gather there's just a couple of mounts missing that stop you retrofitting the facelift rear bar, im sure i can fabricate something. im also considering the bilstein b12 kit at some point.

im finding the engines great with plenty of punch but currently im not getting on with the auto box, in manual mode it's great but i find in full auto the kick down seems quite delayed and then dumps you into the end of the rev range and then immediately has to shift up making quick overtakes hard work. there's a chap i know from an mr2 forum who does alot of aftermarket racing management setups who does a auto gearbox controller, he's also buying my old engine so we've done a deal and im getting one of his controllers, the controller will allow me to add shift paddles but also to adjust the shift characteristics and speed so im hoping ill be able to get it set up so the kickdown shifts to where i feel it should be in the rev range and to get a better shift experience and also give me manual control with the paddles.

im also finding the steering wheek quite large compared to my old race wheel so may look into other options there too and ive also ordered one of the german roof modules so ive got plenty to tinker with but without ending up stripping everything to bits for weeks on end the way the mr2 was

so yeah hi, im chris got some plans as you can see and hopefully i can find all the info and support i need to make them happen here.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,110 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,204 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,316 Posts
Hi, welcome from Barrhead, Scotland. :smile:

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,924 Posts
Welcome from central Florida, USA.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,406 Posts
Hi Chris, and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

We arrange informal breakfast meets in the Midlands from time to time. If you'd like to join us, just keep an eye on the UK Region thread, as that's where we post details of any plans! :tu:

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,452 Posts
Hi Chris, welcome from Washington, DC.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Welcome from New York.

·
DAS/STAR Premium Member 2005 SLK 55 AMG
4,024 Posts
Afternoon and welcome from a sunny Nottingham ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts