Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I live in Toronto. My wife and I recently decided to look for a used SLK, and I have done quite a bit of research in the last couple of months. This website has been invaluable - thanks and kudos to the moderators and all the other members. I found right away that I liked the 'attitude' here. What I mean by this is that all the conversation seems to be pleasant, polite, and helpful. Other automotive websites I belong to often seem to be plagued with what I would call 'macho posturing'.

We like the open air feel of a convertible. My wife really liked the idea of a hardtop, feeling that the soft ones look a little lame and would possibly leak. She had admired Mercedes' styling for many years. I didn't know much about MB, although I have had plenty of experience with Volkswagen and some with BMW. The more research I did about MB the more convinced I was that this might be good for us. I am retired now and she will be retired in less than a year. We would like to tour around North America. We are hoping the back of the car is not too low to accomodate a trailer hitch, as we want to bring our bicycles with us.

I have started my profile with a SLK 350, since that is what we have been looking at lately. I have learned about the balance shaft issue thanks to this website, so we will probably look at 2009 and later versions.

Thanks again to everybody for their contributions.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
94,091 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

owner's and maintenance manuals great R171 info:

later year owner's/maintenance/comand manuals, top right in the link below:
Bill's Den: Documents

your brochure:
Mercedes Brochure Archive

mods you should do:
smarttop

http://www.slkworld.com/general-discussion/121481-what-smarttop-all-members-keep-talking-about.html

clear or tinted side markers
shorty antenna
led license plate bulbs
led parking lights
carbon fiber on the C pillars
oem windscreen or lighted/etched windscreen
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

http://www.slkworld.com/vehicle-data-card/67706-free-how-get-free-datacard.html

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Hey! Great first post and welcome from Ottawa! I think you'll love the SLK for touring NA - it is the only car in this class that you can actually use the trunk for something more than a shaving kit! Several Toronto area members...so reach out.

There are threads asking about a trailer hitch (understanding you want to tote your bicycles) - I don't think anyone has found one ready made for the SLK, but use search and see what you find. Otherwise you'll need a custom welder to help you out.

May I be so bold as to suggest you look south of the border for your new gem?? You will save a bucket of money (30-40% compared to Canada) and it is easy to import. I'd be happy to help with info and advice.

·
Super Moderator/Florida Event Coordinator
14,065 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Welcome to the SLK global community from the United States. Good luck in finding an SLK 350 that's a perfect fit for you and your wife.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to pleasure zone. Hope we meet up soon as I live in the GTA. There are some fun runs once you get out of the downtown core and skip by TPS on the DVP and avoiding the OPP on the 401...but leave the baby tucked up once the first snow drop lands.

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts
Greetings from Tennessee !

Your observations are correct. The founders of this site are the ones to thank for the respectful tone. They are the ones who created it and work very hard to keep it that way. It is what drew me to the site as well.

I would support your choice for the 350. With a 7 speed transmission you really don't save much on gas if you go to the 280/300, the brakes and suspension are better, and the 55 is a different (albeit glorious:)) beast altogether. Most of the key features are upgradable, but pay careful attention as audio, HID headlights, air scarf, heated seats, and service history are more difficult. Face lifted 171's are more modern if you have the cash.

Post the VIN of any car you're seriously interested in and we'll get you a datacard. Drive as many as you can to get used to the car and can tell the differences.

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts! Let us know about the trailer bike hitch please! I'm not sure it's possible?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts