Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello There I am new here,

I am looking to buy an SLK230 and spotted something that might be worth looking at. I was wondering if somebody could give me pointers of what to look for (especially with the engine and tranny). The car seems to be in good condition with 130,xxx miles on it and the supercharger was rebuilt, new hand break and alarm sensor to be installed by the owner, it seems to have been taken care of... clean title, everything works except for those two things which I mentioned are getting fixed. Most of the miles are commutter freeway miles, 2nd owner, etc...

I just want to make sure this car will be reliable, I can afford the maintenence on it and expect to do most of it myself (spark plugs, oil changes, filter changes, etc...) but I might not be able to afford major repairs (IE if the engine or tranny blows up on me) hence why I want to make sure I am buying a car that has been taken care of. I don't expect to drive it for 10 years (hence why I am buying a high mileage car) but if I get a reliable year or two out of it while I am looking for a job that would be great, while I save up for a newer lower mileage car!

My other choice in my budget would be a BMW 3-series, Mini Cooper S, or a Volvo S70/60 of the same vintage with the same amount of miles but I hear that these are much less reliable than the SLKs from everything I've read on consumer reports, epinions, etc... plus the SLKs seem pretty straight forward to work on, and I don't know if parts will be that much more expensive than BMW/Mini/Volvo...

Let me know what you think! Thank you!

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,227 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’.

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Sergeant-at-Arms/Moderator

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Take it to the very best MB mechanic in your area - dealer or independent - and have him go over it with a fine tooth comb. Where has the care been maintained and do you have the records?

The rest is largely luck.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Welcome from Michigan....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts