Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Carpe Ovis
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I just recently bought a 1999 slk 230.

I am also an owner of a 1951 MG TD and a 1972 MGB GT. I grew weary of the electrical problems on the British cars, so i have decided to get rid of the 72 (Baby steps).

As the joke goes :

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because they have Lucas refrigerators! (Lucas being the torment of every British car enthusiast)

I thought the SLK was fantastic on the test drive... It still is. I'm just working out some electrical gremlins. On the weekend I decided to have a look-see.

I popped the hood, and noticed there in writing, defiantly staring me down, like some sort of stalker constantly watching me, seemingly saying "Yes.... Yes.... Bring the hate!" Was something i didn't expect.........

A Lucas badge on an electrical component!

I shouted numerous expletives, obviously. And some WWII reference not intended for children's ears regarding two warring nations that had since colluded to bring a simple car owner to the brink of madness.

That is when the gas strut on the hood support failed.

I sit here sipping a beer and intermittently typing and looking for a good deal on a central locking pump (pse) for my 99 slk (we are not speaking at the moment)

·
Founding Member 2006
108,846 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
14,633 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lucas Revenge

Welcome Lads 1275 :eek:)

I've not heard the joke about warm beer, although we do like a pint of quality beer not always chilled to the same levels as Canadian as the lack of temperature kill the taste (or lack of).

I'm sorry the sight of a Joseph Lucas label created such an apoplectic feeling in good 'Ol BC ( land of my mother) as my old man, now long gone, spent his career in Lucas's post war trying to get small car makers to change their usual suppliers to a higher quality unit. He managed Rolls Royce, Morgan, TVR, Austin Healey, Suzuki(!) and others in the heyday of British production.

There was nothing better when he brought home a test car for Lucas to retrofit with their product the following week. We used to go out in them and have a great time. Rolls Royce were great, but my favourite was the Austin Healey 3000 which we christened "The Hairy Monster"

My elder brothers could drive, and they were allowed to use the cars. I had to make do with a trip on our drive, so it's fair to say my first experience of driving was in a Rolls Royce.

Anyway, rather than feel uptight when you see the Lucas Emblem, relax as their products were built to a high standard....... (I am biased a bit) Plus other vehicles like the MG's were (and still) loved by British connoisseur drivers who enjoy a simple driving experience without electronics ECU's and rubbish. Just SU carbs to tweak and real metal in the body panels.

Real British Beer at room temperature is probably the default choice of a real classic car driver as they tend to be engineers or someone who appreciates something special about the cars.

I too have an SLK (1997 R170), and have replaced the struts to avoid the head smack from solid German Engineering. Enough said that the Germans wouldn't allow English products in their cars unless it were better. It'd be like putting a Merlin Engine in a Messerschmitt......

Anyway cars aside, am I right in seeing you're from Abbotsford BC? I spend a very happy day there a couple of years ago shooting with my Cuz.

Greetings from Sunny U.K. :eek:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello

I just recently bought a 1999 slk 230.

I am also an owner of a 1951 MG TD and a 1972 MGB GT. I grew weary of the electrical problems on the British cars, so i have decided to get rid of the 72 (Baby steps).

As the joke goes :

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Because they have Lucas refrigerators! (Lucas being the torment of every British car enthusiast)

I thought the SLK was fantastic on the test drive... It still is. I'm just working out some electrical gremlins. On the weekend I decided to have a look-see.

I popped the hood, and noticed there in writing, defiantly staring me down, like some sort of stalker constantly watching me, seemingly saying "Yes.... Yes.... Bring the hate!" Was something i didn't expect.........

A Lucas badge on an electrical component!

I shouted numerous expletives, obviously. And some WWII reference not intended for children's ears regarding two warring nations that had since colluded to bring a simple car owner to the brink of madness.

That is when the gas strut on the hood support failed.

I sit here sipping a beer and intermittently typing and looking for a good deal on a central locking pump (pse) for my 99 slk (we are not speaking at the moment)
As a previous TD and numerous Triumphs owner I too was surprised to see Lucas on my baby.
I've also got a failed hood strut, but I'm sure you will love your SLK as much as I do mine.
I'm in Penticton so we will have to get together.

·
Carpe Ovis
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Lads 1275 :eek:)

I've not heard the joke about warm beer, although we do like a pint of quality beer not always chilled to the same levels as Canadian as the lack of temperature kill the taste (or lack of).

I'm sorry the sight of a Joseph Lucas label created such an apoplectic feeling in good 'Ol BC ( land of my mother) as my old man, now long gone, spent his career in Lucas's post war trying to get small car makers to change their usual suppliers to a higher quality unit. He managed Rolls Royce, Morgan, TVR, Austin Healey, Suzuki(!) and others in the heyday of British production.

There was nothing better when he brought home a test car for Lucas to retrofit with their product the following week. We used to go out in them and have a great time. Rolls Royce were great, but my favourite was the Austin Healey 3000 which we christened "The Hairy Monster"

My elder brothers could drive, and they were allowed to use the cars. I had to make do with a trip on our drive, so it's fair to say my first experience of driving was in a Rolls Royce.

Anyway, rather than feel uptight when you see the Lucas Emblem, relax as their products were built to a high standard....... (I am biased a bit) Plus other vehicles like the MG's were (and still) loved by British connoisseur drivers who enjoy a simple driving experience without electronics ECU's and rubbish. Just SU carbs to tweak and real metal in the body panels.

Real British Beer at room temperature is probably the default choice of a real classic car driver as they tend to be engineers or someone who appreciates something special about the cars.

I too have an SLK (1997 R170), and have replaced the struts to avoid the head smack from solid German Engineering. Enough said that the Germans wouldn't allow English products in their cars unless it were better. It'd be like putting a Merlin Engine in a Messerschmitt......

Anyway cars aside, am I right in seeing you're from Abbotsford BC? I spend a very happy day there a couple of years ago shooting with my Cuz.

Greetings from Sunny U.K. :eek:)

Don't get me wrong... I tended bar in England for a stint and do love English beer.

If there is anything that the British excel at, it is humor.

If there is no oil under it... there is no oil in it.

I'll never give up my MG TD or 77 Mini.... There is nothing like them. I'm only anti-British under the hood.... Recently anti German..

I might be racist.

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands... sounds like you have a great sense of humour, I'm sure you'll fit right in here... enjoy the beer (whatever the temperature)! :tu:

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,811 Posts
Welcome from the Wirral, England.

Sorry to hear of your pse pump issue. I know how it feels.

Do you think the SLK Gods overheard you?
They are always listening but only ever answer when we phrase our questions enthusiastically.

·
Carpe Ovis
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Enthusiasm

Welcome from the Wirral, England.

Sorry to hear of your pse pump issue. I know how it feels.

Do you think the SLK Gods overheard you?
They are always listening but only ever answer when we phrase our questions enthusiastically.

I have seen historical enthusiasm from a German in a documentary. By popular opinion, it didn't go over well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.