Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I just bought a 2008 SLK350 Edit10n with 27K miles. Amazing car, we are looking forward to many fun drives!

- Larry

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,895 Posts
Welcome to the World’s Premier Mercedes-Benz SLK Community from Valrico, Florida!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.

Thank you,
Jeff
Founding Member/Sergeant-at-Arms/Moderator

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK350
18,112 Posts
Welcome from Portland, Oregon. There are two SLK Groups that get together often. One in the Bay area and the other in Sacramento.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for making us feel welcomed. The vin is WDBWK56F28F181848. Does anyone know where I can get the datacard? My wife would like built in navigation if possible, anyone know if it is possible?

Thanks, Larry

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome Larry!

Are you looking for a factory in-dash navigation unit or aftermarket?
Aftermarket is a no brainer, search the forum for some reviews and/or visit a local stereo shop for assistance in picking the one thats right for you. There are a lot of options available within most any car stereo brand.

If you'd like a factory unit (I myself prefer OEM stuff), then the most economical option would be to find one for sale out of a salvaged vehicle. Im not sure if any other MB model came with the same size unit from the SLKs, so maybe someone else could chime in on that (the factory units are referred to as 'COMAND' by the way, and there were several upgrades of these units over the years, so it'd be easiest to obtain one that was made for a like-model year SLK, so I'd think that one from the model years of 05-11 would work seeing as those years all shared the same interior and electronics).

eBay is always an option, however I highly recommend Potomac German Auto. They specialize in salvaged Mercedes parts, and they really know their stuff. They also only sell parts that are in excellent working and esthetic condition, I've used them for an interior trim swap as well as a rear differential. Anyway, you can look them up online, or simply give them a call at 1-800-831-7686
I personally usually work with Kyle or Dan. Feel free to tell them that Cale Beasley sent you.
An excellent used COMAND will cost you anywhere from $750-$1000. You'll also need a GPS antennae. Potomac can probably help supply you with a factory one or these can be had aftermarket as well.

I'm not a COMAND expert by any means, but I too would like to upgrade at some point.

By the way, the only way that I know to obtain your data card is to use Mercedes online EPC or electronic parts catalog. It's available to the public and is the same system that the dealer uses. Go to epc.startekinfo.com and register to use the EPC. It requires a CC# for verification but does not charge you a dime. Again, this service is provided by MB so your CC# is in good hands. Anyway, once you register and open the software, it takes a little bit of time to get acquainted with the software, but you'll see an area to type in your VIN#. This will not only allow you access to any part# or parts diagram for your entire car, but there's an ICON on the top right that is to view the datacard. It supplies you with pertinent info on your car, build date, option codes for your car specifically and what they each mean.

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cpbeasley: Thank you for the info Cale. Ideally I would like a factory setup with navigation and Bluetooth. But I would be happy with one that could use the existing screen and buttons. Thanks to your information I was able to get my datacard. It shows:
528. Command DVD plus (without navigation)
819 CD changer
U71. DVD player

What else do I need for navigation?

I also have 359 low cost teleaid USA. Does it mean I can upgrade to MBrace?

Dave54 and Mantist: I live in Discovery Bay, so I am between the bay area and Sacramento clubs.

Larry

·
Registered
120 Posts
No problem, Larry! I love to help budding enthusiasts.

Please do supply some pictures of your hotrod asap, I'd for one love to see it!
Is this your first MB? Is it in the sport trim? What colors is it ext/int? 27k miles, what a find!

While I'm a w203 owner (06 c350 Sport w/ 6 Spd for me and 07 c230 Sport for the wife), we share the engine in common, as well as a love for the SLK. I've got my heart set on adding a SLK350 6 Spd to my garage following dental school.

Anyhow, I'm not surprised to say that you've got me stumped as to whether or not navigation can be added to your navigation-less command "dvd plus". Honestly, I had no idea such a thing existed. I assume it's essentially for entertainment purposes as it is now, no? If I were a betting man though, I'd bet to say that navigation can not be easily added to your current unit as-is. That said, there may be someone who can "hack" into it and make the appropriate upgrade? Unless someone knows otherwise, and even if we do find my hunch to not be true, at this point I'm going to direct you to the MB Doctor, a site specializing in all things "Command" (if you will) for the Benz. It's a wonderful resource, and they offer all the services you need to get operational. You may find it necessary to buy the navigation-'quipped command through a salvage yard (Potomac) if MB Doctor doesn't either have exactly what you need, or if you'd like to price shop. However, ultimately the MB Doctor can help with everything else you would need (GPS antennae, customer service, and the navigation DVD if need be). Something makes me want to think that he may not offer some of the newer command navi units for sale, so thats why Id like for you to keep Potomac and eBay on your mind for now. But that said, I know he does provide parts and service for all units. And again, there may be hope for MB Doctor to physically hack in to your current unit to make it navi-ready.
http://www.mbdoctor.com/product.html

Sorry for the wordiness. Hope all that makes sense.

Any more questions? I'm here!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm a bit anal-retentive sometimes, and just to clarify the response about what else you'd need for navigation:
navi-ready command unit (in-dash)
GPS anntenae (I believe are mounted externally from the factory but I know folks who mount them inside, even left behind the dash, and have no problem with reception at all)
DVD maps (the newest command units have hard drive that contain the maps, but these are uber expensive, and yours would have came with DVD style anyhow)

I think thats it!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
BTW, I'm at a total loss for what to tell you re: MBrace. Not sure what that is honestly.

My car came phone-ready, and I know this as there is a data connection port (kinda looks like a USB port I think) in my center console. So, you should see this port as well. From there a bluetooth cradle can be plugged in and your phone used through the command.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts