Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently purchased a 1998 SLK230. Your forum was a useful reference before buying and allowed me to know exactly what to look out for.

Since making the purchase I have been able to get a diagnostic kit together, discovered and replaced a faulty camshaft position sensor, then replaced the broken ECU fan. I also straigtened a roof bracket which was causing the roof to clip the prcel shelf.

The forum is an excellent reference to find these faults, to get tips on fixing them, and also to know that I am not alone, and that anything can be repaired.

The next job is to fix the coolant leak from the cracked overflow tank...

Thanks for a great site and I look forward to contributing.

Cheers,
Simon.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,470 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM. You can always pm a moderator.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
FREE!! Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Hi Simon! Welcome to SLKWorld! How awesome that you were able to do some research here before buying your SLK! It sounds like you have really been busy! Lucky car to have been found by you ?
What all did you get for your diagnostic kit? I would like to start collecting items for one of my own.

Happy Driving?
Rory

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,405 Posts
Hi Simon, and welcome to SLKWorld.com from the UK Midlands - Thanks for joining us! :)

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K
1,124 Posts
Hello Simon... and welcome from SW France :smile::smile::smile:

Yes, this forum is very handy for solving those irritating little challenges
... and everyone is very friendly and helpful.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,059 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Rory,

For the diagnostics, start by searching on slkworld - that's where I got all my info. Based on that I bought a multiplexer which allows you to access all of the different buses. This is not strictly necessary - you can get by with a simpler interface converter - but it means you can access all the info from a single connection to the 38-pin connector. The multiplexer I bought was this one:

MB Carsoft 7.4 Multiplexer Diagnosegerät für Mercedes Benz zum Verkauf - OBD2look.de

I chose that site because it was German, and others appear to be based in China/Hong Kong. However after placing the order, I realised that this is also a Hong Kong company with a German website. Smart move. I had to use Google Translate to figure out if my order was indeed placed because I got no email confirmation or anything. However it duly arrived 2 weeks later and it works perfectly.

For the software you need to buy or find a copy of Carsoft. Version 7.4 is fine for the '98 SLK, and it runs fine on a 12 year-old laptop.

Cheers,
Simon.
---

1 - 20 of 24 Posts