Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick hello - I picked up my lovely old girl yesterday after weeks of trawling ebay/preloved/gumtree and various ad mags I finally stumbled across one quite local from a lovely old chap who'd only been doing 3-400 miles a year in her since 2011.

I've spent today touching up stone chips, cleaning and polishing her from head to toe and for a 16 year old lady, she's come up lovely. 99k on the clock and drives beautifully. One of the headlamps was full of condensation so I took out the bulbs, and rigged up a bit of a Heath-Robinson affair with a hairdryer, hoover hose and plumbing elbow to blast it dry. 20 mins later and she's as good as new... well until morning when I suspect I'll REALLY find out if it worked lol.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
902 Posts
Welcome from the swamps of Southern Maryland USA!

How did you clean up the stone chips? I have the same issue with a -350 I am picking up Tuesday;.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a bit crude but as she's silver, I used a good old carplan light silver touch up pen - doing 3 coats and then when dry flattened them off with meguirs 205 on waffle pad on my rotary polisher.... the good thing about meguiers that it breaks down and (hopefully) so long as you ad enough detailer as lubricant, doesn't burn the original paint when you miss the chips. It's by no means a perfect job but for a few hours on a nice day, has made quite a difference.... the car only cost beer money anyway so as long as she looks presentable when I park her outside the workshop tomorrow morning, she'll do.

There's a bit of rust under the rear arches which I attacked with p2400 wet and dry (wet) and will paint over with some smoothrite when I get to work tomorrow... no one will be able to see it anyway once I've chavved it up with some chrome arches :)

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
103,284 Posts
Get Clearbra! see my albums

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,205 Posts
Welcome from central Florida, USA!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Welcome Quaysider from Tampa Bay Florida on the Gulf of Mexico!
I can see you will entice me to explore a whole new learning curve as well as lots of work in trying some of your methods.
I have a silver 2001 SLK 320 and have some of those road chips and wasn't sure what to do about them. I have some other larger rust spots that are pushing up the paint so I know its in my future to have the hood completely redone but until then I'd like to have those chips fancied up!
Keep up the interesting posts!

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Welcome from Washington, DC.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,314 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,450 Posts
Hi, welcome from the North of Scotland. :smile:

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,411 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.