Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone I've just joined, I've had my slk55 for around 6 months and live in London.
I have a query, everything seems fine on my car apart from one thing which may or may not be anything;
When I drive relatively slowly say about 20 mph I can sometimes hear a noise which sounds a little like when you labour an engine in a manual car, it is almost like a mild exhaust rattle but was unsurenif it could be gearbox related.
I cannot hear the noise when I drive the car fast, only occasionally as detailed above.

Anybody had similar experience or know what it could be?
Sorry if my description is a little vague!

Thanks
Muster

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,437 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Premium Member
2,117 Posts
Woolly is correct, several folks have had loose manifolds,heat shields; some had them replaced-sounds most likely....

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
If you own an R172 then similar issues have been reported.

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
Welcome from snowy cold Ottawa Canada, and on occasion, St John's Wood NW1.

Perhaps do a short video (post to youtube, then link it here). What year is your car?
Does the noise go away if you shift to a lower gear? What gear/RPM is the car in when you get the "rattle"?

The other solution is to just drive quickly all the time!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the quick replies!
Heat shields sounds possible thinking about it.
It seems to happen when the car is in fourth at around 2000 revs and does go awayif I change gear.

I will try to video it.

I'm loving the car though, the exhaust sound is tremendous, I use it for my daily commute and still look forward to driving it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Certain rpm's cause harmonics that can vibrate any number of metal parts. Can be hard to track down, but take the advice of those who know. It is most likely the usual suspects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.