Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm in Salisbury in the UK, and my wife is the proud owner of a bug green SLK 230, 1997 model. It's my job to keep it on the road, and after she recently reversed out of the drive and managed to wipe the front drivers side indicator lens accross my cars bumber and broke it, I now need to fix it. - so I have a replacement one - but I'm really struggling to remove the headlamp assebly to replace the indicator lens. Does any one on here know how to do this? - without removing the bumber?

Regards, and thanks for your help in advance, Nick.

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Welcome from NE England. I'm sure one of the R170 experts will soon be along to answer your question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Wooly - I'm really struggling with this - removed two screws on the top of the assembly, and it is loose, but something seems to be retaining it and I don't want to use force. Nick

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
The headlamp beam adjustment motor will be holding the base. I don't know if this drawing will help you . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome! I hope this helps... http://www.buellwinkle.com/r170/default.htm

As far as the headlight assembly goes, there is a retaining clip under the assembly on the outside edge. It requires a thin screwdriver to access. You have to pull up on the front of the clip then down on the button, just a little farther in. Yes, sometimes loosening the bumper makes it easier. A bit tricky but can be done.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,481 Posts
Welcome from Valrico, Florida!
And welcome to this great forum!

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response. Be patient and a knowledgeable member or guest will address your question.
If you wish to PM (Private Message) someone, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘new members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members listed to obtain your needed posts.
And finally, if you find something useful on your visit here today, perhaps something that saved you time or money, please consider becoming a donating member or make a one-time donation to offset development and operating costs. Even $5 is welcome! At the top of the page, click ‘Donate now’. Thanks!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
Welcome from southern California.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You need to remove the turn signal lamp and underneath it, there is a screw. Once removed, you need to lift the front of the assembly and push the rear down to take it out. This is how it works for a 2001 US-spec model , don't know if it's the same for a 97 euro model. I've removed mine a couple of times and never needed to touch the bumper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thankyou for all the warm welcomes and thanks Guys, some really useful information in there.
Especially thanks to Elbert55, that looks like it might be the crucial piece of information, also, thanks to Leapy Fish, a useful diagram of the assembly too.
GusSlk - thanks, but it is the turn signal lamp I want to replace, once I have removed that, all I need to do is replace it with the new one -and, that is an amazing avatar - I could watch it all day.
jbanks15, thanks for the help, I did search first. I guess I have not posted the question in the proper forum though, if I still can't manage it after all this useful advice I'll re-post in a more appropriate forum.
Livefreeordie, I have not had chance to try and put it into practice yet but I feel more optimistic now. I'll let you all know how I get on after my next attempt.
Thanks again, regards from sunny Salisbury. Nick.

·
Registered--In between SLK's
15,236 Posts
Hi from London, it's a top down afternoon, Nice! :tu:
The forum is a wealth for info, i'm sure you find it very usefull over time, enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts