Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
* Registered
Looking for an old SLK
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Morning all, starting to look for an older model SLK for the summer, not worries about bodywork hugely as I can sort that myself and some mechanical, but looking for one with a working roof and sound engine & gearbox

are there any models or years to avoid, known issues etc please?

South of England based,keen car enthusiast

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
17,729 Posts
@Chalky139 Welcome from Canada 🇨🇦😀

Ask for your free data card--all the equipment your car had leaving the factory

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
104,505 Posts

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,373 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, this may help.

Our forum rules:

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads below.
R170 DIYS:- SLK R170 class DIY
R171 DIYS:- SLK R171 Class DIY
R172 DIYS:- SLK R172 Class DIY

Some useful tips in this section for new Members and prospective owners.
>>>Link to new owner guides<<<

You can find your region by scrolling down the page on this link
This is the place to look for tours, meets & events near to you.

Look across the banner and you'll see three vertical dots.
Many questions on how to use the forum and it's features answered there.
You'll also find the >>>FAQs<<<

Click the 5 horizontal lines near the banner.
Scroll down and you'll find a huge section of info.

You can research your questions here.
Here's how to get the best from our site's advanced search:

·
Super Moderator (UK)
33,373 Posts
You say older model, but which? and which engine(s)? (200, 230, 250, 280, 300, 32AMG, 320, 350, 43AMG, 55AMG model dependent)

In banner photo
Yellow 170
Black 171
WHITE 172

BUYING

Inspection check list (Also add datacard list to this):

Sluggish test drive:

Roof and drains tlc:

Best modification:

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
373 Posts
Welcome from Cornwall. Can I suggest that as well as a working roof and strong engine/gearbox that you take the time to check that everything works as it should; these vehicles are very complex and expensive faults can manifest themselves in seemingly innocuous and unconnected ways. For example when I bought my R170 320 I noticed that the interior light didn't work and I dismissed it as simply a bulb/failed door switch/fuse; in fact it was a symptom of a water damaged PSE pump which operates the pneumatic locking system/interior lights/alarm system and a new pump was approximately £450.00 + vat. It is definitely worth scanning through this forum for the model you choose and doing your research. R171 subframes can be a serious issue too. The checklist posted by others above is a great starting place. I'm not trying to put you off as these are all fantastic cars but it pays to be in a position of knowledge when you go to test drive one. Good luck with your search.

·
* Registered
Looking for an old SLK
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As an aside, I’ve a few years experience in the body repair world hence being ok with a model that’s maybe a bit tatty which I know normally isn’t a good sign, because of the bodywork isn’t good, it’s typically a sign it’s not been looked after mechanically too.
But might get lucky picking up an accident damaged one that’s been looked after otherwise

·
* Registered
Looking for an old SLK
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And for my sins, I’m a bit of Mini geek, BMW
range not the Austin.
So thankfully the model codes like R170 172 etc is similar and handy.
The datacard link also looks ideal 😃

·
* Registered
1999 Slk 230 r170 turbo
340 Posts
Welcome from the Midlands enjoy the forum 😃 need any 230k tuning advice always happy to help our knowledge is mostly based on the pre-facelift 230k engines a early model has more potential for power but both pre facelift and facelift are a headache to tune the ECU 😂. But if looking for a Andy 4cyl M111 Merc look carefully for any signs of headgasket, smoke from the exhaust oil in coolant, coolant in oil poor starting. M111 engines are pretty stout but all have the flaws of common headgasket failure more so on earlier ones due to the Victor rienz headgasket Mercedes originally used, also if looking at one that's been stood for a while it's wise to be cautious of the timing chain I've personally seen a couple of M111s destroyed this way. But don't let that put you off these are just the most serious issues to look out for before handing over any cash, when they work (which no matter what slk will have its days just the quirks of the cats) they are great fun to drive. Any questions feel free to ask about 4 cyl models. As @Avel Du says @Dave2302 is the man with all the V6 knowledge 😉 his V6 grew two more cylinders the man really knows his stuff 🙂.

·
Super Moderator (Canada)
2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30 "Schwarzie"
17,729 Posts
I like the sound of a V8 model, will look at the info on that here
Earliest V8 is the SLK 32 AMG for R170 (2001-04) V6. Starting with the R171 (2004-11), it went to the SLK 55 AMG and then the R172 (2012-15) which is the last of these V8's.

This does not include folks who like to drop in an 8 when the occasion calls for it though 😉

Any other cars advertised as AMG have added stuff like skirts, etc. but only the 32 & 55 have the "hand-built AMG engine" though.

·
* Registered
1999 Slk 230 r170 turbo
340 Posts
I like the sound of a V8 model, will look at the info on that here
It's not the easiest conversion but it is the most reliable and probably has the best £-hp ratio 😉 also you get a sound that sounds like you angered the gods everyone you stomp the loud pedal. We turbo'd our 230k had around 300 hp but a lot of headaches a V8 gives far less failures 😂, this from a performance perspective. But both a very involved jobs a stock 230k can have a Speer crank pulley upgrade and a fuel pressure regulator upgrade to 4 bar cheap and makes the car a bit more peppy also the 230ks are often cheaper.

·
* Registered
Looking for an old SLK
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting to hear. Always happy tinkering and tweaking, so it’s fun to read someone has fitted a V8 themselves

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.