Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I thought it might be useful to other members if I relayed my experience sorting out a problem on my R170 whereby the driver's side would only blow out hot air regardless of the setting of the temperature control. The passenger's side worked fine.

Not knowing where to start I search this excellent forum and found the postings explaining that this normally caused by a failed duo-valve.

Following the suggestions I disconnected the three way plug and put a multimeter set to DC volts between the centre pin on the cable socket and first the left and then the right pin. Each time I cycled the temperature control from max hot to max cold. This showed that each circuit went between zero and 12 volts, an excellent result as this proved that the control unit in the dash was not at fault.

I then removed the top half of the duo valve see this excellent description:-
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/showthread.php?t=18785

I then set the multimeter to resistance and measured between the centre pin and each side and found that one had a reading of around 2k ohms where as the other was over 5 meg ohms, a simple ohms law calc shows that this wont pass any meaningful current so chances are the coil had become open circuit and the high resistance reading was just coming from the capacitor that is across each coil.

I rang MB to see if I could just buy a coil...fat chance. No I had to buy the whole assembly at over £200 inc VAT. I did however gleam the part No.

I quick Ebay search turned up a number of duo valves but with a slightly different part number i.e. 0018303484 not 0018302484. On the basis it was just £10 I thought I'd take a chance.

Part duly arrived and the differences became apparent, although the top of the valve, i.e. where the coils and valve actuators are, is the the same the lower half has the hose connectors facing 180 degrees round and so would be doubtful if the hoses would reach.

No problem I simply swapped over the top half and all is fine.

A £200 saving and a warm glow of satisfaction of 'beating' the MB system.

Hope this helps

John

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
228 Posts
Nice fix and congratulations.
Now I'm new to all this so where did you find this "DUO Valve" located? I have a 2001 SLK 320 and I get nothing but real hot air out of the drivers side and kind of cold air out of the passenger side.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,268 Posts
Nice fix and congratulations.
Now I'm new to all this so where did you find this "DUO Valve" located? I have a 2001 SLK 320 and I get nothing but real hot air out of the drivers side and kind of cold air out of the passenger side.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa
Lisa

fyi this thread is 6 years old

https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/47089-heater-one-side-always-hot-duo-valve.html

change your view so you do not post in old threads

original posters might be long gone

https://www.slkworld.com/new-members-introduce-yourself-here/233026-posting-old-thread-how-fix.html

let me know if you want us to move your post to its own new thread

don't forget to search

location of duovalve has been posted :D

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,268 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
228 Posts
Just want to add to this thread that I repaired my duo valve yesterday by simply removing the two covers from the solinoid coils and cleaning the gummed up and stuck plungers. This repair was beyond simple, I only lost about a half a cup of coolant and spent 30 minutes with the repair. The valve works like new now and I have wonderful air conditioning...........

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lisa

1 - 6 of 6 Posts