Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the heated seats in my 05 350.

Is it by design that when you turn them on high (3 bars) they automatically lower by themselves from 3 bars(High) too 2 bars(Medium) and then finally stay at 1 bar(Low).

Not really a big deal for me but my wife keeps shutting hers off then back on to make it go back to high which is kind of annoying.
So it would be nice if I could turn that lowering feature off.

Thanks

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Hey Caraddict - pull out your owners manual - it's a wealth of info.

Page 104 on mine :

Level
3 Three indicator lamps on (highest level).
After approximately 5 minutes, seat heating is automatically switched to level 2.

2 Two indicator lamps on.
After approximately 10 minutes, seat heating is automatically switched to level 1.

1 One indicator lamp on (lowest level).
After approximately 20 minutes, seat heating is automatically switched to off.

off No indicator lamp on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I was actually just reading it right now.
That's not the answer I wanted to hear since she would like the temp to stay where she sets it.

So in our hour+ commute everyday she has to fiddle with the seat every 5 to 10 minutes.

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
That's not the answer I wanted to hear since she would like the temp to stay where she sets it.

So in our hour+ commute everyday she has to fiddle with the seat every 5 to 10 minutes.

:) Never promised it was what you'd want to hear, only that it would explain what it was doing! :)

·
Registered
720 Posts

The heat the seats need to produce in order to maintain a constant temperature changes over time. When the car is cold, the most power is needed, later, when the desired temperature has been reached, it's less.

The problem is that the seats have no way of measuring the actual body temperature (which is also a function of clothing and how much heat the body is producing), let alone the temperature that is felt by the user, so the way they've programmed the system had to be a rather coarse approximation. Considering this, the system works pretty well for me. On some days, when it's close to freezing, I might have to bump it up a notch, because it dropped too early, but it doesn't bother me too much.

·
Premium Member 2000 SLK230
2,624 Posts
Personally, I like the automatic drop, I find myself turning it down sometimes before the timer kicks in...but that's just me. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The heat the seats need to produce in order to maintain a constant temperature changes over time. When the car is cold, the most power is needed, later, when the desired temperature has been reached, it's less.

The problem is that the seats have no way of measuring the actual body temperature (which is also a function of clothing and how much heat the body is producing), let alone the temperature that is felt by the user, so the way they've programmed the system had to be a rather coarse approximation. Considering this, the system works pretty well for me. On some days, when it's close to freezing, I might have to bump it up a notch, because it dropped too early, but it doesn't bother me too much.
I guess I just like to be in control. And this is the first car that has tried to predict how hot I like to keep my butt. Which I think can only be judged by me :)
Kind of like when some auto manufacturers make the AC come on automatically with no option of disabling it, now that drove me nuts.
I know it dehumidifies when you have it on with the heat so let me control it.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There is (was?) a thread on this board wherein a poster's heated seat control just stayed on high, and didn't lower the temp. DanSLK (I believe) responded that he had some sort of fuse or controller out (can't recall the specifics). Perhaps you could contact DanSLK with your question via PM or merely post on the "Ask DanSLK" thread. My thoughts are that if a fuse or controller can malfunction and leave the seats where they are set, that device can be removed and give you the results you want.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks that would be perfect.
I'll have to search around.
As long as the fuse doesn't control something else.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Actually there is a logical reason behind it,why the heated seats on all mercedes benz's lower themselfs after a certain time, from 3 -2 and the one and finally actually shut off.

first reason is,u do not want it to get overheated and or stay too long on too HIGH....thats one reason why the heat turns its self lower and eventually shuts off.

second reason is, people tend to forget to shut it off or turn it off...

3rd reason, having a heated seats on too long on on too high can cause certain damages in your butt, and it can affect male fertility.

trust me when I tell ya, there is good reason why the heated seats turn down and turn off by itself eventually....to me it makes total sense!

D

·
0 Posts
I don't remember anything about having a heated seat stuck on hot but i do remember saying that a mate at work came up with a device to operate the AirScarf on cold without it tripping out, thats not to say it didn't happen but i just have a useless memory sorry.

By design the fault modes for the heated seats result in them switching off so short of connecting them directly to the battery (don't do this :)) your stuck with this one because the timer is a function of the controller for both seats heaters and scarfs and its for a good reason like HBK says, the primary driver is overheating, leave the pads on max for too long and it severely shortens the life of the parts plus it can damage the leather of the seats to the point that it needs replacing because its basically been cooked.

The worst thing that can happen here is the pads get so brittle from the heat they crack and then they catch fire, we had a TSB for this on the old ML class.

Nothing wrong with putting it back on 3 after it drops to 2 once or twice but for an hour is asking for trouble.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
883 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to know the same which has been answered. This happens with the air scarf to, can anyone confirm this is right? Cheers.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
883 Posts
Cheers. Just tested this. My heated seats go off like it says in the manual and the air scarf stayed on permanent.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.