Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered 2013 SLK250 CDI
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I was wondering if anyone has had experience of fitting heated and airscarf seats to an R172 which didn't have these as standard. Is fitting the wiring loom that these plug into a major hassle apart from the obvious strip out of seats and probably carpet, and is this even possible to retro-fit this loom? Thanks in advance, James.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,311 Posts
Not sure on the 172 diys, but both are covered in the 171 diys which at least gives you an idea of the jobs.

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
6 Posts
I'm about to start the same upgrade. Really struggling to find wiring looms for the seats. I've sourced everything else without any issues. Any pointers on where to buy looms in the UK would be greatly appreciated. Haven't tried Mercedes directly just yet as I suspect they'll be horribly expensive!

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm hoping the final piece is the wiring loom that the seat plugs into that runs from under the seat, under the carpet, then into somewhere. That somewhere I'm not sure about. If I find out anything, I'll ping it on here.
Are you upgrading from black cloth?

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,311 Posts
I'm about to start the same upgrade. Really struggling to find wiring looms for the seats. I've sourced everything else without any issues. Any pointers on where to buy looms in the UK would be greatly appreciated. Haven't tried Mercedes directly just yet as I suspect they'll be horribly expensive!
Always worth pricing MB first.
Yes, some parts are more expensive.
But sometimes the difference is small (for oem) and on rare occasion it's cheaper.
The MB price gives you a benchmark.

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
6 Posts
Thanks for the tip on MB for pricing, Avel Du.I'll give them a call and make some enquiries. James, I've got black leather AMG Sport seats, bought identical ones with heated elements and airscarfs so hopefully it's just a case of changing the control unit, swapping the seats, adding heater control module then running the wiring loom. I've also got an NTG4.5 unit to install along with a 7"screen, upgrading from Audio20/Becker and 5" screen.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you say heater control module, do you mean the switch set attached to the bottom of the stereo?

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
6 Posts
No, there's the control unit, the buttons on the dash but you also need a control module that is fitted to the rear bulkhead. The part number is A1729000402. I bought on for £40 on eBay. Not sure if it's one per seat or just one for both. If I need another I'll grab be back on eBay.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be needing a control module then as well as the wiring loom!

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Be good to see the NTG 4.5 and 7" screen installed :)
What are the chances that the wiring loom from the fuse box to the control module is already in place?

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK55 AMG
2,509 Posts
On the R172 cars there is virtually no pre-wiring for options. On the R171 there was lots. It will make the install more challenging but not impossible. Also agree to always check the prices with MB, sometimes things are cheaper than you’d expect and in my experience this is especially true when it comes to cable harnesses.

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
6 Posts
Be good to see the NTG 4.5 and 7" screen installed :)
What are the chances that the wiring loom from the fuse box to the control module is already in place?
Agree with Col, highly unlikely that they are preinstalled. I called my local Mercedes dealership and spoke to the parts department. They weren't helpful at all, basically gave me no information that I asked for. Essentially, because I don't have a VIN that has the parts installed I can't get prices for the parts I need. They did tell me that the looms wouldn't be sold individually as they would have been a complete install in cars as they were built. I'm still investigating as I've found a German website that lists each loom individually. I plan to take my seats out and lift the carpet next week to see what's what. I'll also check the replacement seats, they arrive tomorrow and see what's already installed. Not sure when to delve into the NTG4.5 install, I already swapped the screen to see if the 7" worked with Audio20, it didn't due to different pinouts, I've bought a converter so the cable should work now.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Avel Du and Col. I will check with MB about the wiring loom. Does anyone know the serial number of the wiring loom from fuse box to control module and from control module to both seats?

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would like to think that each MB dealership is slightly different. When I enquired about a roof liner for my car, they told me I had the wrong part number and that I needed a standard panel. When I explained the panoramic roof conversion to them and what I was doing, they were fine with ordering in the part I wanted. Managed to get one from Ebay a bit cheaper in the end though.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
May be worth trying other MB dealerships. All the ones near me are closed for parts at the moment. I tried to get some info today.

·
Registered 2016 SLK350
44 Posts
It seems like the easiest thing to do is sell your existing seats and buy a pair with the elements and loom already fitted. Knowing Mercedes though, you'll probably need Star to re-program the car.

My car hasn't got heated seats or the air scarf thingy. I don't miss it as the heater is plenty good enough as is, and the car is toasty at sub 10 degree C temperatures with the roof off.

Good luck

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The elements and loom are already fitted in the new seats. It's the loom that they plug into underneath the seats that runs under the carpet to the control module, the control module itself, and the loom from that to the main fuse box.

·
Registered 2013 SLK350
6 Posts
I've contacted Mercedes in Newcastle in the past, about a panoramic roof liner. They were very helpful, on the list to swap once the seats and head unit swap takes place. I bought replacement seats with heated elements and airscarfs already installed, as suggested. I'll try to sell my original seats later.

I found this website with a diagram and part numbers for the seats, long link, sorry:- Car-Europe, 172.466 , 54 ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT AND INSTRUMENTS, 121 ENGINE CABLE HARNESS,BODY MOUNTED - Catcar.info

This site could possibly be used to order them if a dealer won't supply:-

1 - 20 of 21 Posts